• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did we get to this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Well, there will either have to be severe spending cuts or new tax increases (or both) to plug the huge budget black hole.

The fact that Hunt was even hinting at scrapping the triple lock on pensions suggests how dire things are.
    Things are actually great - for Hunt.

Comment

Scrap all benefits, scrap all pensions, give the money to bankers. The new Tory pledge.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

In simple terms it's like owning a sweet shop, you put half a dozen five year old kids in charge and when you come back the following week, they have eaten the sweets and given away the remainder of sweets to their friends. They emptied the till, and the shop is full of empty sweet wrappers and the loo is filthy. In order to solve the problem, you put another five year old in charge.
        Given that the main hits to our economy have been COVID and the energy crisis which affected the whole world, a more appropriate analogy might be that you locked the kids in the sweetshop for a week with no food or drink, and you shouldn't be too surprised to find they've eaten all the sweets when you come back. Of course a different set of kids might have done it slightly differently, perhaps managed to get by just on Curly Wurlys, Monster Munch and Coke, but this has happened in sweetshops all over the world, with all kinds of different kids in charge, and most of those shops are in a pretty crap state at the moment.

Comment

Well, there will either have to be severe spending cuts or new tax increases (or both) to plug the huge budget black hole.

The fact that Hunt was even hinting at scrapping the triple lock on pensions suggests how dire things are.
          They've been hinting at that since inflation began to rocket.
          THere is talk of spending cuts but I haven't seen talk of further tax increases (so far)? When the government is bailing us out for our energy costs, taxing us more to pay for it isn't really going to raise more income. Is there scope to increase CT further?

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

Given that the main hits to our economy have been COVID and the energy crisis which affected the whole world, a more appropriate analogy might be that you locked the kids in the sweetshop for a week with no food or drink, and you shouldn't be too surprised to find they've eaten all the sweets when you come back. Of course a different set of kids might have done it slightly differently, perhaps managed to get by just on Curly Wurlys, Monster Munch and Coke, but this has happened in sweetshops all over the world, with all kinds of different kids in charge, and most of those shops are in a pretty crap state at the moment.
            If you'd posted this a month ago you'd be right.

Comment

In PMQs the PM just said to the leader of the SNP that the triple lock will stay in place.

So expect a U-turn shortly.

She also refused to indicate if she will increase carer's allowance.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                They've been hinting at that since inflation began to rocket.
                THere is talk of spending cuts but I haven't seen talk of further tax increases (so far)? When the government is bailing us out for our energy costs, taxing us more to pay for it isn't really going to raise more income. Is there scope to increase CT further?
                Re. scrapping the triple lock. Huge backlash in all the papers this morning, and from many Tory MPs.

Listening to various talking heads on C4 News last night, it's hard to see how Hunt could plug the £30bn (£50bn) hole with spending cuts alone. I've no idea what new tax increases could be on the cards but there's probably going to have to be something.

I guess public sector workers can forget about big pay rises. Many months of strike action to come?

Grim.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post

The same has affected all other countries in the EU and the rest of the world. While the other European Countries have recovered from the covid factor, the UK has not. The difference is the UK chose Brexit and not only that a hard Brexit without a deal and a numpty Tory government. You can't find one Tory MP who now admits they supported Brexit. Even Farage has shut-up.
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

I guess public sector workers can forget about big pay rises. Many months of strike action to come?
                    For some like head teachers and nurses.

Others particularly in healthcare and teaching will continue quitting to change job e.g. go and work in Aldi, or to emigrate.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Re. scrapping the triple lock. Huge backlash in all the papers this morning, and from many Tory MPs.

Listening to various talking heads on C4 News last night, it's hard to see how Hunt could plug the £30bn (£50bn) hole with spending cuts alone. I've no idea what new tax increases could be on the cards but there's probably going to have to be something.

Grim.
                      Liz just confirmed the triple-lock on PMQs as I understand it.
                      Sometimes there IS no way to plug the gap and the only solution is to borrow, I guess. When there is a genuine extraordinary circumstance (war, pandemic) the markets accept that as essential. The energy price support would be such an example - huge government borrowing that was generally seen as not just unavoidable but beneficial.

But ongoing long-term "we have to borrow as we can't raise enough tax" is likely to be problematic.

Comment

Working...
                      X