• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inflation and grocery shopping

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inflation and grocery shopping

The news this morning reports inflation at 10.1%.

- a pint of milk is now £1 (was 45p last year), but 4 pints cost £1.38!
    - chocolate digestive biscuits now £1.75 (was £1 not long ago)
    - pack of three trifles up from £1.20 to £1.95

I'm in the can-pay, won't pay camp.

My overall food monthly bill has actually fallen as I stop buying treats. Hardly good for the 'economy' though!

Originally posted by Protagoras View Post

I'm in the can-pay, won't pay camp.

My overall food monthly bill has actually fallen as I stop buying treats. Hardly good for the 'economy' though!
    Some price increases are justified but many are not and it is just profiteering. I have noticed that in Aldi, items from Germany such as the salami have not increased at all and is the same price as years ago.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	uHU4V7F_d.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	4237953
      Jacket potato with sliced sausage and cheese, tomorrow pizza and chips, all served with apple crumble. Sorted.
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Same have cut back on the monthly grocery bill and spending even less than i used to.

They say one of the cures for inflation is inflation because people just spend less.

But that only works for while, say the first year.

But what do you do after you have cut your spending to the bone but inflation still persists for years after?

I guess more people will be visiting food banks.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

I guess more people will be visiting food banks.
          You know it has gotten bad when the food banks are turned into trendy wine bars.
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

“Nestle posted its strongest nine-month sales growth in 14 years this morning and raised its full-year guidance.

The world’s largest packaged food company saw organic sales, which strip out the impact of currency movements and acquisitions, rise by 8.5pc.

This was the highest rise across three quarters since 2008. The brand, which is known for products such as KitKats and Nescafe, achieved the growth by increasing prices to offset rising costs. ”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...n-uk-economy1/

Comment

The cost of the same basket of goods has gone up about £4 since January.

That's to do with the cost of bottling, packaging and transport.

There has been issues with getting the correct package for goods since Covid.

It doesn't cost much more to bottle 4 pints than 1 pint.

Cost of wheat and oil has increased.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                The cost of the same basket of goods has gone up about £4 since January.

That's to do with the cost of bottling, packaging and transport.

There has been issues with getting the correct package for goods since Covid.

It doesn't cost much more to bottle 4 pints than 1 pint.

Cost of wheat and oil has increased.
                I think there is some profit taking on a pint of milk.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I think there is some profit taking on a pint of milk.
                  My understanding of the milk racket is that the supermarkets squeeze the farmers such that producing milk barely covers costs, let alone makes a profit. I would be happy to pay more for milk and other dairy products if I knew that more of what I paid was going to the producers. That way, they can then invest more in ensuring the cattle are kept in the best conditions possible. Cutting the price they receive drives out good farming practices.

No source to evidence this; it's just what I think

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

My understanding of the milk racket is that the supermarkets squeeze the farmers such that producing milk barely covers costs, let alone makes a profit. I would be happy to pay more for milk and other dairy products if I knew that more of what I paid was going to the producers. That way, they can then invest more in ensuring the cattle are kept in the best conditions possible. Cutting the price they receive drives out good farming practices.

No source to evidence this; it's just what I think
                    Try "Morrisons For Farmers" milk.
                    I'm sure if Wilmslow were around he'd tell you all about it - he used to work for the outfit in Bradford I believe.
                    Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X