• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Trains

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Trains

First-class train carriages axed

Just 28 annual season ticket holders paid for first-class fares, rail chiefs revealed

First-class commuter carriages could be on the way out after Whitehall officials gave an operator the green light to axe them and free up seats.

Train companies have been ordered by the Department for Transport to find cost savings, with demand still below pre-pandemic levels.

Last week, Southeastern, the nationalised operator that runs more than 1,500 services from Sussex and Kent into London every day, said it would scrap first-class tickets entirely.

The decision came after rail chiefs revealed just 28 annual season ticket holders paid for first-class fares.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...arriages-axed/

This would have never happened under New Labour

Great Western Railway” - should be renamed to maybe “JustOK Western Railways”

I just booked for a trip to London - Standard Premium on Avanti.

First class without the food, much cheaper and you still keep away from the riff-raff.

First class used to mean fantastic service, not any more.

I think that fewer business people traveling is a factor as well.
    Back at the coal face

Comment

I can see it happening for commuter services but being retained for non-peak travel

Comment

I expected November’s budget to announce lifetime free First Class travel for ex-45% taxpayers as a thankyou

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I can see it happening for commuter services but being retained for non-peak travel
          Yes because they tell you, you can upgrade for £10 or whatever if the carriages are empty and standard are rather full.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            I expected November’s budget to announce lifetime free First Class travel for ex-45% taxpayers as a thankyou
            What happened to your chauffeur and private jet?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The 'better' transport gets the worse the actual experience is.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yes because they tell you, you can upgrade for £10 or whatever if the carriages are empty and standard are rather full.
                Not just that. People travelling off peak are often wanting a more relaxing journey and are willing to pay a little extra to make the journey more pleasant and if First is repackaged with a better offering then it could be a good thing.

When I used to commute, I paid for First Class on Southern Railway purely because it got me a seat on what would often be heavily oversubscribed peak time services. The seats, cabin and service were all exactly the same. It's only since doing a few train journeys outside of SE England, heading north, that I realised the other train companies had a proper demarcation in the level of service between the classes of travel.

Comment

They need to create a class above, call it Premium Executive Luxury Class and make sure only those paying 45% tax are allowed in
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

What happened to your chauffeur and private jet?
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X