• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Me house is me pension

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me house is me pension

The era of property as a pension is coming to a bumpy end

Buy-to-let has moved from a niche to a mainstream retirement strategy

Spare a thought for poor Dion Dublin. After seven glorious years as a co-presenter of Homes Under the Hammer, the former Manchester United centre forward must be wondering what the future holds for the BBC’s day-time property programme as talk grows of a housing market crash.

The format, for the uninitiated, is that investors snap up run-down properties at auction, then give them a quick makeover. After that, these budding property moguls either flip their new purchases for a quick profit, rent them out, or choose to actually live in them. Running for nearly two decades, the show has become the unlikeliest of TV smash hits, with Meryl Streep and Paul McCartney among its celebrity fans.

Yet, it may also find itself an unlikely casualty of Kwasi Kwarteng’s mini-Budget. Homes Under the Hammer isn’t just a celebration of Britain’s long-standing obsession with property, it was a reflection of the more recent growth of the buy-to-let sector from a niche into a mainstream retirement strategy.

Could the fallout from the Treasury's tax cuts bring down the hammer on the market for good? Along with the residential market, the buy-to-let craze had begun cooling before the new Chancellor chucked his tax grenade into financial markets on Friday. “

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...ing-bumpy-end/

Good.

Comment

Mr Dublin will be fine. He also does other commentary like on football.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The housing market will always be propped up. For some reason it's not allowed to follow normal rules

Comment

You got shares in the Kebab shop didn't you?
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            You got shares in the Kebab shop didn't you?
            Got some synthetic CDOs

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Got some synthetic CDOs

HTH
              Dealer!
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You think pension funds are having a good time right now?

Comment

Working...
                X