• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BOOM: Premium Bonds

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nationwide have announced new fixed term bonds paying up to 4.75%.

Better to put your £50k in there, or keep in Premium Bonds?

From my experience, I get around £50/month on average from Premium Bonds but this month I won £125.

With Nationwide's 3 year bond, £50k @4.75% is around £197/month. The first £500 is tax free so I would pay 40% tax on the £1875 remainder, so tax = £750, leaving you with £1625/year or £135/month.

Close call, but I'd be tempted to leave it in Premium Bonds.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
      Nationwide have announced new fixed term bonds paying up to 4.75%.

Better to put your £50k in there, or keep in Premium Bonds?

From my experience, I get around £50/month on average from Premium Bonds but this month I won £125.

With Nationwide's 3 year bond, £50k @4.75% is around £197/month. The first £500 is tax free so I would pay 40% tax on the £1875 remainder, so tax = £750, leaving you with £1625/year or £135/month.

Close call, but I'd be tempted to leave it in Premium Bonds.
      That's the thing, it's going to be a close call, but there's no chance the Nationwide are going to give to £1m in a month, which is a possibility with PBs.
      Another way to look at them is as a sensible person's lottery. you put your money in, and you still can get it back.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

That's the thing, it's going to be a close call, but there's no chance the Nationwide are going to give to £1m in a month, which is a possibility with PBs.
        Another way to look at them is as a sensible person's lottery. you put your money in, and you still can get it back.
        Could put it in nationwide and buy £75 worth of euromillions tickets each month, then there's "a" chance of getting loads more than £1m back

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          That's how I look at it. If you have £50k in there, you're effectively getting close to the headline rate anyway, which isn't too bad currently. Plus the chance of a big win, admittedly a very small chance, but enough to be a bit of fun.

Comment

Only 50 quid win this month

Comment

Working...
            X