• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Rib Eye

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #21
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post

    Do vegetables have any similarity in appearance, texture or flavour to meat? Quorn is foul muck IMO but the whole "if they don't want to eat meat they should eat vegetables" argument is deliberately over-simplistic.
    If you want a tasty pie that isn't full of meat then get a good veggie cook to cook you one with veggies not Quorn.

    If you want a tasty pie that tastes like meat then eat decent meat.

    The only thing Quorn is a good substitute for is cheap meat e.g. the value sausage and pie ranges.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

    Comment


      #22
      I get that meat substitutes have a place in transitioning people away from meat but, ultimately, it's far better to just learn how to cook vegetables properly. Much healthier and tastier in the long run.

      Comment


        #23
        Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

        If you want a tasty pie that isn't full of meat then get a good veggie cook to cook you one with veggies not Quorn..
        I'd agree with this totally. My other half is veggie and took her to a place in Didsbury called Greens which is a proper veggie restaurant. Wasn't looking forward to it but I was blown away. I was expecting risotto and all that rubbish you normally get at the bottom of any menu but I couldn't have been more wrong. All the standard dishes you'd expect on a good menu but veggie. I had a pie and it had the same consistency of a good meat pie so proper stodge meal which I like. We had crispy duck type thing but made with tulipake mushrooms. Looked almost the same as crispy duck. Different flavour obviously but no less tasty. If it wasn't a long drive for me I'd be quite happy going there again by choice and I'm a proper meat eater.

        The things you can actually do with veggies if you know how was pretty amazing.

        On a slightly different topic. One thing that does drive my other half absolutely nuts is restaurants trying to cater for Vegans as well. There has been a marked increase in dishes labelled vegan and veggie to try cater for both.. so it's tasteless vegan food without any thought for the veggies. Trying to be clever but really all they are doing is throwing vegies under the bus. I do hope this is a fad and will die a death very quickly.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 19 August 2022, 12:08.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

        Comment


          #24
          I don't object to a nice veggie pie but it is nothing like a meat pie.

          Bit like people who are lactose intolerant... we could just say "well iced tea is nice" but they'd actually quite like to drink something like milk, hence you can buy lactose-free milk or almond milk, etc.

          Sue has again missed the point by fixating on Quorn not being very nice - there are modern products which are far nicer and the science is getting better. Although, meat pies don't have to be made with high quality meat. One of the great things about pies is they allow you to use less choice bits of meat.
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

          Comment


            #25
            I suppose the point is that a veggie pie is simply not a meat pie. Trying to make one into the other is a hiding to nothing.

            I agree with NLUK's point about over catering to vegans. It's like some have gone to an extreme in order to appease a small group and completely missed that some people love lots of butter and parmesan in a properly made risotto - they just don't want the meat.

            Comment


              #26
              Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I agree with NLUK's point about over catering to vegans. It's like some have gone to an extreme in order to appease a small group and completely missed that some people love lots of butter and parmesan in a properly made risotto - they just don't want the meat.
              "Catering to" or "making a big profit from?"
              In the case of a local deli of independent cafe likely the former, or even they are promoting veganism rather than catering to it. But the big companies are purely seeing a financial opportunity. Vegans tend to be quite well-off, well-educated types with a lot of cash to spend assuaging their conscience and signalling their virtue

              Take them for all you can...


              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

              Comment


                #27
                Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

                I'd agree with this totally. My other half is veggie and took her to a place in Didsbury called Greens which is a proper veggie restaurant. Wasn't looking forward to it but I was blown away. I was expecting risotto and all that rubbish you normally get at the bottom of any menu but I couldn't have been more wrong. All the standard dishes you'd expect on a good menu but veggie. I had a pie and it had the same consistency of a good meat pie so proper stodge meal which I like. We had crispy duck type thing but made with tulipake mushrooms. Looked almost the same as crispy duck. Different flavour obviously but no less tasty. If it wasn't a long drive for me I'd be quite happy going there again by choice and I'm a proper meat eater.

                The things you can actually do with veggies if you know how was pretty amazing.

                On a slightly different topic. One thing that does drive my other half absolutely nuts is restaurants trying to cater for Vegans as well. There has been a marked increase in dishes labelled vegan and veggie to try cater for both.. so it's tasteless vegan food without any thought for the veggies. Trying to be clever but really all they are doing is throwing vegies under the bus. I do hope this is a fad and will die a death very quickly.
                25 years ago there was a fine vegetarian Chinese in Wealdstone, most things you would expect in a Chinese but with vegetables.

                Not sure if the Indian in Southall is still going, that used to be great only serving Vegetarian meals.

                Plenty of such foreign restaurants cater to vegetarians as their fellow believers are vegetarian or off Beef / Pork.

                I have no problem with making meat free but why call it BEEFy ENCHILADAS MEATY RECIPE (made without beef) .

                I would consider "5 a day Vegan enchiladas" as a nice change if they were vaguely the same price not five times the price.

                Brocoli & Kale sausages are quite nice . But calling them PORKY BESTS BANGERS (meat free) is annoying.

                Maybe Indian/Chinese premade recipe food the Kohinoor Brand of lentil etc mains are really nice & filling with rice or bread.
                "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                Comment


                  #28
                  Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  "Catering to" or "making a big profit from?"
                  In the case of a local deli of independent cafe likely the former, or even they are promoting veganism rather than catering to it. But the big companies are purely seeing a financial opportunity. Vegans tend to be quite well-off, well-educated types with a lot of cash to spend assuaging their conscience and signalling their virtue

                  Take them for all you can...

                  Yes, that's a good point. They wouldn't be so well catered for if there wasn't money in it.

                  Comment


                    #29
                    The problem is there isn't really a word for "like beef" except... "beef". And "pork sausages" - well you know pretty much what you are getting, whereas "veggie sausages" could mean 1000 different things that taste totally different to each other in the same way "meat sausage" is not very descriptive.

                    I don't like "vegan pork" names but a lot of names are heavily biased on normal context. "Sausage roll" doesn't technically tell you what the sausage is made of, but culturally it's pork sausagemeat.

                    Some vegetable products have well-defined names like dhaal but a lot of meat replacements don't. Your veggie burger and mine might be utterly different. We don't really have the vocabulary because culturally in the UK, meat is the centre of the meal. For instance, dhaal comes from a culture where vegetarian diets are very common, and they needed words to describe it.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

                    Comment


                      #30
                      I shall be cooking a boned out leg of lamb tomorrow afternoon on the BBQ. I hope there are a few vegans downwind...
                      Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X