• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Retrospective tax changes.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrospective tax changes.....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62542541

Keir Starmer calls for extra windfall tax to freeze energy bills

The party says its plan would be paid for in three ways:
    • Backdating the windfall tax to January and accounting for higher oil and gas prices to raise £8bn
    • Dropping the £400 energy rebate and other pledges made by Tory leadership candidates to raise £14bn
    • By reducing inflation with lower energy bills, leading to a cut in government debt interest payments of £7bn
    Click image for larger version  Name:	?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi.redd.it%2F8y4sn6015t321.jpg&f=1&nofb=1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.0 KB ID:	4229840
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

You know how much we all shudder when we see the R word in a post!

Comment

That is kind of the nature of windfall taxes. They are usually prompted by windfalls that happened recently or are ongoing, not hypothetical future ones.

Comment

We already have a windfall tax its called Corporation Tax and the big energy firms pay a 10% supplement on top so the exchequer is already benefiting. And when the demand comes to invest more to replace oil and gas based production with green technology what money is going to pay for that if we've already taxed and frittered the investment funds? Then there's our pension funds which will be battered by unnecessary and damaging windfall taxation

We need to invest in energy independence, new energy resources and infrastructure so it'd be better if the government directed its efforts that way rather than playing politics with and wasting our future wealth potential.

Comment

Originally posted by tazdevil View Post
          We already have a windfall tax its called Corporation Tax
          Not entirely. WF applies to exceptional profits not directly generated by the company itself. Like in this example where the suppliers don't actually control the price.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
          X