• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contracting in a recession

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I suspect it will happen again.
    I suspect, as always, you'll be wrong.
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty the mystefied View Post

I suspect, as always, you'll be wrong.
      Don't believe me, that is what the investment rags are predicting and the banks are preparing for try reading something other than Razzle with your weak hand (your other one being busy) and the beano.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Don't believe me, that is what the investment rags are predicting and the banks are preparing for try reading something other than Razzle with your weak hand (your other one being busy) and the beano.
        Matey, there are always 'investors' predicting a crash, most of the time they are wrong, but every now and then they get lucky. Thing is, people like you only remember the one time they get lucky, not the 99 times they have been wrong.

Even in 2008, the biggest recession since WW2, property only dropped 15% and bounced back in a couple of years. So yes, there may be a correction, but so long as you're not looking to sell then the impact is going to be zero. But hey, if you want to live in constant panic then go fill ya boots big boy.

The biggest fall in UK house prices in recent memory was brought about by the financial crash of 2007-2009, which occurred as a result of deregulation in the financial industry and mortgage brokers in particular. Indeed, 2008 saw the biggest recession since World War II, with house prices dropping significantly from the previous bubble of 2000-2007 (which saw an average property price rise from £100,000 to £225,000).

According to the Office for National Statistics, the average UK house price dropped by 15% from January 2008 to May 2009. Unlike the recent ‘bounce back’ after the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic, in the wake of the 2008 financial crash properties did not achieve their pre-crash values until 2012 at the earliest
        Re reading material, I'm more a Viz man.

Re my right hand, my new young blonde girlfriend, and 2 seater sports car, are ensuring it gets a rest, but thanks for the concern

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Matey, there are always 'investors' predicting a crash, most of the time they are wrong, but every now and then they get lucky. Thing is, people like you only remember the one time they get lucky, not the 99 times they have been wrong.

Even in 2008, the biggest recession since WW2, property only dropped 15% and bounced back in a couple of years. So yes, there may be a correction, but so long as you're not looking to sell then the impact is going to be zero. But hey, if you want to live in constant panic then go fill ya boots big boy.

Re my right hand, my new young blonde girlfriend, and 2 seater sports car, are ensuring it gets a rest, but thanks for the concern

damn you must have a small winky to need get that much of an extension.

https://www.ticfinance.co.uk/house-r...s-and-figures/

Comment

damn you must have a small winky to need get that much of an extension.

https://www.ticfinance.co.uk/house-r...s-and-figures/
            Your link backed up my argument .. thanks.

Yeah, I have a tiny winky which is why i seem to date younger blonde stunners to compensate my other inadequacies

Comment

Can anyone beat this? Surely someone out there must own a helicopter or a yacht?

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Can anyone beat this? Surely someone out there must own a helicopter or a yacht?
                I don't own the blonde ... just the car!

Comment

I used to work with a contractor that owned a Tank.

Lotus, Porsches & Ferraris were common among fellow workers in the noughties.

Doesn't one of the congregation own a part of a plane?

My Ex brother in law who was a contractor at the time owns a boat.

Comment

Yeah, I have a tiny winky which is why i seem to date younger blonde stunners to compensate my other inadequacies
                    A bulging cryptowallet?

Comment

If it flies, floats or fornicates, it's cheaper to rent it.

As for the hairdresser's car, it's got the chassis of a 2012 Skoda Octavia, but without the space for dogs or more than 2 adult humans, I'll pass.

(Actually, I'll pass quite easily on most roads)
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X