• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky broadband any good?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    I'm currently in an area that is being dug up by another broadband operator so I can have their fibre rather than Virgin directly to my home.
    Have they got to the point yet where they're offering you broadband via the new fibre network? CityFibre have been laying cables down a lot of the roads in my area but haven't finished yet. I've had Virgin cable for many years (since they were NTL Telewest!) and it's been fast and reliable, but they're stupidly expensive now and I need to either haggle them right down or switch to another provider. Obviously I'd prefer fibre but CityFibre isn't ready to take subscribers in my area.

In fact, is anyone else using a provider via CityFibre? If so, who are you with and what do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
      Have they got to the point yet where they're offering you broadband via the new fibre network?
      Yes, via OpenReach (so would be same as BT etc but possibly cheaper due to bundle), if you want top plan (1 Gbit) then you might have to go with BT

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        I think it means the exchange is enabled.
        Street cabinet needs to be enabled for FTTP, unless you are directly connected to Exchange

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Yes, via OpenReach (so would be same as BT etc but possibly cheaper due to bundle), if you want top plan (1 Gbit) then you might have to go with BT
          OpenReach aren't the same network as CityFibre though - right? Otherwise they wouldn't need to dig up all the streets to lay their own cables

Comment

OpenReach aren't the same network as CityFibre though - right?
            Correct.

If you lucky enough for CityFibre to be able to connect you then I'd go ahead with them directly.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I wish I could but I've put all my eggs in my BTinternet email baskey and they won't allow me to pay for just an email service so I'm pretty much screwed. I'm not really but the amount of work to transition over and don't know what to move to either so I'll stick with BT.
              You sure of that?

From : https://www.bt.com/help/email/what-h...and-service-st

If you have BT email and you cancel your broadband with us, you can:
              • Close your BT email
              • Keep your email but with more basic features by getting Basic email, which is free
              • Keep your email with the same features by getting Premium email, which costs £7.50 a month
              • Keep your email with the same features, by linking it to a friend or family member's BT Broadband, which is free
              If you don't make a choice yourself, we'll transfer you to Basic email.
              For 60 days after you leave BT Broadband you can choose to upgrade to Premium email.

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

NEVER have email service with your ISP, EVER!

Comment

Have they got to the point yet where they're offering you broadband via the new fibre network? CityFibre have been laying cables down a lot of the roads in my area but haven't finished yet. I've had Virgin cable for many years (since they were NTL Telewest!) and it's been fast and reliable, but they're stupidly expensive now and I need to either haggle them right down or switch to another provider. Obviously I'd prefer fibre but CityFibre isn't ready to take subscribers in my area.

In fact, is anyone else using a provider via CityFibre? If so, who are you with and what do you think?
                  Nope not CityFibre.

There are actually two broadband companies digging up the roads around me though I've only seen strange yellow boxes of one of them.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    NEVER have email service with your ISP, EVER!
                    That's why Gmail etc exist.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I can recommend GMX Mail. It does not hog other services, you can have multiple email accounts open at the same time on a single browser and is free.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X