• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more partying...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No more partying...

in other people's houses.

Though if I hire a castle how do you know I'm not having a party with the other guests "staying" overnight?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61976350

Airbnb has permanently banned parties and events at homes on its platform, after a temporary measure during the pandemic proved popular with hosts.

The firm says the rule has become "much more than a public health measure" since it was introduced in August 2020.

"It developed into a bedrock community policy to support our hosts and their neighbours," the San Francisco-headquartered firm said.

However, it also removed a limit on how many people can stay at homes.

Airbnb said in a statement that the number of complaints about parties dropped by 44% since the measure was first introduced.

Exceptions to the global ban may be made for "specialty and traditional hospitality venues" in the future, it added.

Airbnb also said it would remove a limit on the number of people its listings are allowed to accommodate at any one time.

It previously imposed a 16 person limit to occupants because of concerns over the spread of Covid-19.

The firm said "several types of larger homes are capable of comfortably and safely housing more than 16 people - from castles in Europe to vineyards in the US to large beachfront villas in the Caribbean".

"Removing this cap is meant to allow those hosts to responsibly utilise the space in their homes while still complying with our ban on disruptive parties," it said.

The company started putting restrictions on parties in 2019. It banned "open-invite" parties and so-called "chronic party houses" that were a nuisance to neighbours.

During the pandemic, Airbnb introduced an indefinite ban on parties "in the best interest of public health".

More than 6,600 guests had also been suspended from using the platform last year for breaking the rules.

"This new and long-term policy was enacted to help encourage and support community safety," Airbnb said.

"We look forward to sharing updates in the coming weeks and months on our efforts to complement our community policies on parties," it added.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    in other people's houses.

Though if I hire a castle how do you know I'm not having a party with the other guests "staying" overnight?
    You're allowed to have a party with the people staying there. Not use it as a party venue for loads of other guests.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      You're allowed to have a party with the people staying there. Not use it as a party venue for loads of other guests.
      I get that but how does the platform stop it from happening?

I've never used AirBnB so don't know how it all works.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I get that but how does the platform stop it from happening?

I've never used AirBnB so don't know how it all works.
        The app doesn't stop it happening, like it can't stop you from breaking other rules. If you are found to break the rules, you get thrown off the platform and 'banned'. Similarly hosts have to follow certain rules e.g. if you are found to discriminate who you rent to.

Comment

The app doesn't stop it happening, like it can't stop you from breaking other rules. If you are found to break the rules, you get thrown off the platform and 'banned'. Similarly hosts have to follow certain rules e.g. if you are found to discriminate who you rent to.
          Oh ok. So all that blathering then doesn't really "do" anything to stop the parties.

Comment

Oh ok. So all that blathering then doesn't really "do" anything to stop the parties.
            It tells you you'll not be allowed to use their service if you break the rules. AirBnB is becoming one of the primary ways to find holiday accommodation anywhere in the world and not having access would be something to think about seriously. Like how you don't want to get barred from your local pub if it's important to you, or on a no-fly list.

You may as well say that laws against murdering are just "blather" since they don't "do" anything to stop murdering. That's how most rules work, you don't break them because of the consequences not because someone is constantly surveilling you.

Comment

It tells you you'll not be allowed to use their service if you break the rules. AirBnB is becoming one of the primary ways to find holiday accommodation anywhere in the world and not having access would be something to think about seriously. Like how you don't want to get barred from your local pub if it's important to you, or on a no-fly list.

You may as well say that laws against murdering are just "blather" since they don't "do" anything to stop murdering. That's how most rules work, you don't break them because of the consequences not because someone is constantly surveilling you.
              That makes sense. I suppose I was just being sceptical about how much such a rule works in the real world if people already think that hiring a house and advertising a party on snapchat is the right thing to do. But then it seems like those are the very people who need to be told where the boundaries are. Until someone does something dumb, there isn't going to be a rule against it.

Comment

That makes sense. I suppose I was just being sceptical about how much such a rule works in the real world if people already think that hiring a house and advertising a party on snapchat is the right thing to do. But then it seems like those are the very people who need to be told where the boundaries are. Until someone does something dumb, there isn't going to be a rule against it.
                Correct. All the people that hold private gatherings type parties which family attend and the like will lose out where the people that created the need for a rule won't be remotely bothered and continue to trash places.

It's some form of constant that rules are put in place because of the actions of a few stupid people that won't adhere to them anyway. Before the rule it was common sense and neither of those apply to the people that cause the trouble.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Correct. All the people that hold private gatherings type parties which family attend and the like will lose out where the people that created the need for a rule won't be remotely bothered and continue to trash places.

It's some form of constant that rules are put in place because of the actions of a few stupid people that won't adhere to them anyway. Before the rule it was common sense and neither of those apply to the people that cause the trouble.
                  Seems you are incorrect:
                  Airbnb said in a statement that the number of complaints about parties dropped by 44% since the measure was first introduced.

How they determine if you break the rules I'm not sure but with it being a private company they probably have the ability to ban anyone for any reason in the T&Cs somewhere?
                  People renting a cottage and having their parents come round for a BBQ aren't going to get in trouble. Those who rent a place to host a rave will find they need to find a new person to do the booking each time.

Comment

Working...
                  X