• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No more English Lit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

English is hardly an unemployable degree from a decent uni - is Hallam more of a vocationally focused institution?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      English is hardly an unemployable degree from a decent uni - is Hallam more of a vocationally focused institution?
      Yep.

I've met a couple of people who went there and have done well in life. They didn't do English.....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yep.

I've met a couple of people who went there and have done well in life. They didn't do English.....
        Seems a bit of a non-story then. If you're going somewhere like that for English it's presumably because you were realistically unable to do so elsewhere. English is a great subject to do for the academically gifted but it seems a bit pointless otherwise - if academic learning isn't your talent then you would (as you say) possibly do much better with a more practically-focused course otherwise it seems like you got a degree just to get a degree.

Comment

Seems a bit of a non-story then. If you're going somewhere like that for English it's presumably because you were realistically unable to do so elsewhere. English is a great subject to do for the academically gifted but it seems a bit pointless otherwise - if academic learning isn't your talent then you would (as you say) possibly do much better with a more practically-focused course otherwise it seems like you got a degree just to get a degree.
          And what is wrong with getting a degree to just get a degree?

Plenty of people aren't using the degrees they have in their work.

Comment

A little bit related, found out today the apprentice I was mentoring has got a first! And the real life project she (we) did got a distinction, and I haven't even got a degree in software!
            But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

And what is wrong with getting a degree to just get a degree?

Plenty of people aren't using the degrees they have in their work.
              Those are two totally different scenarios. Very different getting a degree in something you find interesting that's not a field you expect to work in - or even a degree "because it further my career", and getting a degree "because that's what people do". Getting a 2:2 in English from Hallam is neither, you're still going to end up working for your local council or something. Nothing wrong with that but you might as well have got a job instead of the degree.
              Last edited by d000hg; 28 June 2022, 16:04.

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
                A little bit related, found out today the apprentice I was mentoring has got a first! And the real life project she (we) did got a distinction, and I haven't even got a degree in software!

Comment

Those are two totally different scenarios. Very different getting a degree in something you find interesting that's not a field you expect to work in - or even a degree "because it further my career", and getting a degree "because that's what people do".
                  That's 3 different scenarios.

That reminds me the last one is what certain Royals did.

Getting a 2:2 in English from Hallam is neither, you're still going to end up working for your local council or something. Nothing wrong with that but you might as well have got a job instead of the degree.
                  Not if they use their time at university wisely e.g. networking and gaining other skills.

Comment

Not if they use their time at university wisely e.g. networking and gaining other skills.
                    OK you're absolutely right Ruth. Everyone, regardless of academic aptitude should spend tens of thousands of pounds and 3 years of their studying a degree they have no interest in so they can gain some 'other skills' and network with a load of similarly disinterested people. This will clearly stand them in good stead for a high-flying career.

If you just want to gain employability skills and build a network, don't look for it as a side-effect of degree you don't want. Get a job (or several jobs) over 3 years and be involved with some local business/charity/sports groups in your spare time. The former will teach you far more useful skills (the best way to learn X is to do X) and the latter will put you in touch with a much wider cross-section of people who may be valuable contacts one day. Lots of the real movers and shakers "make s*** happen" people I know are involved in grassroots community or philanthropy projects and those are people you want to know who you are.

Comment

< pious waffle>
                      Lots of the real movers and shakers "make s*** happen" people I know
                      yeh, - right.

Comment

Working...
                      X