• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Private Healthcare.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My partner and I are both in BUPA. I've never made a claim. She recently needed surgery to correct a severely prolapsed disc.

The amount that they paid out means that even if neither of us make any further claims and remain members for the rest of our lives we've saved money.

The waiting list for having the same operation on the NHS was 18 months, during which time she would have been in severe pain and unable to work.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyDown
      heh - I can imagine you SA taking this on, going through all the poking and proding then at the end the medical report will say:

'Overweight - low calorie diet and exercises recommended'

They'd be getting the money shoved up their arse - if I was paying that much I'd want at least one disease!

The pope is a tard.

Comment

"They'd be getting the money shoved up their arse - if I was paying that much I'd want at least one disease!"

What obesity and verbal diarohea?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan
          "They'd be getting the money shoved up their arse - if I was paying that much I'd want at least one disease!"

What obesity and verbal diarohea?

No, I'd just ask your advice about them
          The pope is a tard.

Comment

I have an Axa policy from my employers. This costs them about 45 quid a month - though I pay the tax on it.

I have been diagnosed with a chronic condition that will be with me for ever. Problem is that most schemes don't cover chronic conditions - only acute ones. However this generally means that cover is extended until diagnosis and the treatment regime is stabilised, continuous maintenance is not covered.

More expensive policys tend to cover more.

In Axas case they have paid about 20k for my treatment so far and still burn a fair bit on blood tests and follow ups whilst I am stabilised.

I can't fault them.

Prior to this I'd been from pillar to post for 5 years in the NHS and had only just managed to get a referral. I suspect Axa might be a bit miffed that they covered the preexisting after a medical though.

Comment

Is there a reductioin if you don't actually have any health checks? I would just like to pay a moderate amount so I can take take my clothes off at regular intervals and have a nurse poke and prod me and stick instruments up my orifices.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth
                Is there a reductioin if you don't actually have any health checks? I would just like to pay a moderate amount so I can take take my clothes off at regular intervals and have a nurse poke and prod me and stick instruments up my orifices.
                I think you'll find that's a hundred quid an hour.

So I've heard.

Comment

The pope is a tard.

Comment

You need to analyse your genetics AND your lifestyle. If your ancestors live to a ripe old age and you live a reasonably healthy lifestyle, odds are you'll never need it.
                    Not always that easy unfortunately. The old man died at 65 but he had smoked 60 a day for 40 years and I never ever saw him take any exercise. Grandfather died at 50 but I suspect being stabbed and smashed over the head with an iron bar didn't help.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Not always that easy unfortunately. The old man died at 65 but he had smoked 60 a day for 40 years and I never ever saw him take any exercise. Grandfather died at 50 but I suspect being stabbed and smashed over the head with an iron bar didn't help.
                      How old are you Xog (or is that too personal a question?)

I dont want you poping your clogs any time soon!
                      The pope is a tard.

Comment

Working...
                      X