• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hideously white Glastobury

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hideously white Glastobury

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...astonbury.html

'It's interesting to look at the audience and not see any black people there': Sir Lenny Henry questions lack of diversity at Glastonbury and says he is 'always surprised' to see so few black and Asian faces in festival crowds
    • British comic Sir Lenny Henry has questioned the lack of diversity in audiences at British festivals
    • He singled out Glastonbury, saying he is 'interested' by the absence of BAME faces in the crowd
    • Sir Lenny shot to fame as the first black performer on the controversial Black And White Minstrel Show
    • It comes after Glastonbury organisers called Stormzy's 2019 headline performance 'a little bit late maybe'
    And in 2008, Glastonbury organisers were forced to defend their choice of rapper Jay-Z to headline that year's event after claims it had upset traditional rock fans and led to poor ticket sales.

Eavis said the festival had to move with the times and she blamed an 'innate conservatism' in Britain for the negative reaction in some quarters.

She said the row over her choice of a black American rapper rather than a rock band like Radiohead had raised uncomfortable questions over British attitudes to race and class.
    nah its just Rap has a silent C at the beginning of the word. Stormzy is definitely not my cup of tea.

so are festivals a bastion of white privilege, don't find acts that appeal or just not something people want to buy tickets for?

Actually I think a MOBO festival would be popular - oh look it is

https://www.visitcoventry.co.uk/news...ration-of-mobo

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I was wondering if it's as simple as Lenny doesn't realise the diversity of the UK population is much lower than he experiences in his city/London-centric life (I know he lives/lived in Cornwall). ONS says the UK is 85% white and yet major cities like London and Birmingham (where he's from) are notably very different. If Glasto mirrors the UK average, only 1 in 20 people there are black (fewer than I thought) which would certainly make it look a very white crowd.

When I visit London I am struck similarly "nobody is white" which clearly isn't true, simply because there are so many more black people than I see normally, which seems like it's just the flip-side of the same coin.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

BAME people have more sense than to go to stupid festivals

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
        BAME people have more sense than to go to stupid festivals
        That's racist.
        And where are our BAME smilies. I've set my phone to use brown to demonstrate my woke credentials.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

That's racist.
          And where are our BAME smilies. I've set my phone to use brown to demonstrate my woke credentials.
          Careful, that's cultural appropriation!

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I was wondering if it's as simple as Lenny doesn't realise the diversity of the UK population is much lower than he experiences in his city/London-centric life (I know he lives/lived in Cornwall). ONS says the UK is 85% white and yet major cities like London and Birmingham (where he's from) are notably very different. If Glasto mirrors the UK average, only 1 in 20 people there are black (fewer than I thought) which would certainly make it look a very white crowd.

When I visit London I am struck similarly "nobody is white" which clearly isn't true, simply because there are so many more black people than I see normally, which seems like it's just the flip-side of the same coin.
            Exactly. I am really disappointed in Lenny here. I think he's completely lost the plot on this one. Diversity isn't about making every single element of life meet (actually way exceed) the country averages. To start applying that is a very slippery slope and one I thought he'd know better than to go down. Racism has f all to do with culture and he's looking at an event that appeals more to a single culture. There are many events you can look at that appeal to a certain culture and you can ask where other elements are.

If he wants proportional representation at everything then everything on TV is going to be suddenly become majorly white again and he won't like that at all.

Really poor effort from a man that's been pretty solid for many years.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Well, as it happens we will be having our annual Saturday night picnic up on Maesbury Fort where there is a great view of the lights of the festival. There will be 5 of us including my Jamaican friend Denis & this particular Glasto gathering will be 20% BAME so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr Henry.

Did used to like you on TISWAS though. KATANGA!!
              Last edited by Guy At Charnock Richard; 14 June 2022, 18:23.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy At Charnock Richard View Post
                Well, as it happens we will be having our annual Saturday night picnic up on Maesbury Fort where there is a great view of the lights of the festival. There will be 5 of us including my Jamaican friend Denis & this particular Glasto gathering will be 20% BAME so stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Mr Henry.

Did used to like you on TISWAS though. KATANGA!!
                That's so FOG-gy
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                X