• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best place you've ever been on holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best place you've ever been on holiday

Bird Island, Seychelles

Stayed for 10 days back in the 1990s. Magical is the word I'd use to describe it. The coral sand beaches and crystal clear waters are glorious, as you'd expect, but it's not just that. There are so few rooms, you barely see anyone during the day and it does feel like you're on a desert island. There's a heady scent in the air from all the exotic plants, and the sound of the doves during the day and the noddys at night is mesmerising. It is so remote from the other Seychelles islands that there is nothing as far as the eye can see. There's no light pollution, and the night sky is like nowhere else I've ever been. The island has an atmosphere that's really hard to put into words. I've been to many other tropical destinations around the world but nowhere has ever come close to Bird.

It's a bit marmite though. Many would get bored because there isn't much to do and there's no night life or entertainment, not even TV. There's no air con in the rooms either and the solar heated hot water is a bit hit and miss. Obviously it's not cheap and, although it's full board, drinks are very pricey.

I've never really thought about having a bucket list but I would like to go back there before I kick it.
    Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

My best holidays have all been road trips, a ton of different places in one trip.

Comment

Dunno. I've enjoyed all my holidays but for different reasons.

Comment

I love cities so whenever i'm in Bangkok, NY, Singapore etc I'm loving it.

But as a holiday, my 2 favourites are the first time I went to the Mara (followed by gorilla treking in Rwanda), and Okavango Delta in Botswana (probably top of the list). Just stunning, vaste openness with beautiful wildlife.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Butlins Bognor Regis
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Vegas Baby Vegas. Just everything about it is for me. I get it's marmite. My other half hates everything about it. She's glad she went to see it and do the stuff but wouldn't go back. Trying to arrange my 12th visit this year.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Vegas Baby Vegas. Just everything about it is for me. I get it's marmite. My other half hates everything about it. She's glad she went to see it and do the stuff but wouldn't go back. Trying to arrange my 12th visit this year.
              My other half has always wanted to go there. I can kind of see the appeal but I'm not sure I'd want to stay more than a couple of days, and it's a heck of a long way to go for a short break.
              Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Ibiza Town (1999)

Can never be recaptured.

Comment

Originally posted by ns1 View Post
                  Ibiza Town (1999)

Can never be recaptured.
                  I went on a lad's holiday to Thailand in the same year - we did a week in Phuket and a week in Samui (N.B. I did not partake in sex tourism).

Just remember the first might on Bangla Walking Street it was mad; thousand baht notes flying around like nobody's business and I rang the bell a couple of times myself.

Then in Samui we found this great little bar called Henry Africas's Bar and made it our base for the week. One night, the drummer for the house band didn't show and I got to stand in; I'd already been on skins for a rock cover band so I knew all the classics they were playing. It was wall to wall drunken Aussie totty in there that night too & it felt like my own personal pyramid stage moment. And, yes -I did pull

As you say, the joys of youth. Just can't be recaptured

Comment

Originally posted by ns1 View Post
                    Ibiza Town (1999)

Can never be recaptured.
                    Ibiza Town was much better than San Antonio.

I went two or three times to Ibiza in the mid-1990's

Comment

Working...
                    X