• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Last weekend.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last weekend.

It was my sister-in-law's 50th birthday bash last Saturday. On Tuesday I finally got around to checking in for our flights and entering the API. Only to discover one of my daughter's British passport had expired. Called the local Swiss passport office (as she is Swiss) and they said they couldn't do it in time, so we should go to the airport and get a temporary one. Got there at 6pm - and by 6:30 we had a new temporary passport. And I was about £120 lighter...

Where I live, Thursday was a public holiday, so I'd booked Friday off and we planned to fly on the Thursday. At 2:10 on Thursday afternoon, I checked the airport arrivals to see if the the inbound flight was delayed. It turned out that the it wasn't but the outbound flight was cancelled. (I got an email about it at 2:30). So I cancelled both legs and requested a refund. Then we got in the car, filled it with fuel (good job I'm rich from my contracting days) and drove to Calais - 7 hours. Fortunately we have three drivers in the family. Booked a Eurotunnel ticket while sitting in the back of the car, uploaded the API and our covid certificates (apparently still required UK->France). Got to our accomodation about 11:30. Our return journey was thankfully quite uneventful.

Not so for my son and his wife. They had chosen to drive, but stay over in Calais in an airbnb for both legs. It took them over four hours on Sunday to get 500m to the port at Dover so they could board the ferry. Arrived in Calais too late to check in (at about 10pm), so they drove home through the night. Two drivers. I was quite impressed really - I've never done an overnight drive.

Got the EasyJet refund, and it turned out it was more than out expenses. Which was nice. Plus we were able to bring back teabags and marmite. Sadly, due to the UK not being in the EU, we couldn't bring back any bacon, sausages, cheese (that's the really sad one), pork scratchings, nor gravy granules.

cue: cool story bro'.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

You could have brought those things if you were willing to spend 8 hours filling in 700 pages of forms (so says the M&S chief).

Comment

I think if you are vet, you can fill out your own forms for your sandwich fillings.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

we couldn't bring back any bacon, sausages, cheese (that's the really sad one), pork scratchings, nor gravy granules.
        Are there no English shops over there. Everywhere you go in Manchester there are Chinese, Polish, Latvian, Jewish you name it shops selling goodies from home. I would have thought there would be a market over there? My brother in law is over there as well and he says the same about the home goodies he misses.

cue: cool story bro'.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Our local supermarket has a furriners section that has jars of marmite as do the Indian shops. Of course there's the local Marmite equivalent which I must try some time. Stilton I can get - our local Lidl sells it just before Christmas so I buy a few kg and freeze them. But the other cheeses, like Red Leicester, Double Gloucester and other regional cheeses, not a chance. A bit of Wensleydale sometimes surfaces in Germany. There was a guy running a British cheese shop in Zürich but he couldn't be faffed with the regulations post-brexit so closed down. It's sad because British cheeses are really good and varied. My Swiss daughter in law loves them.

What we really can't find are Pork Scratchings (with fat) and suet. The former isn't a real loss.

I was talking with my son today. 6 hours to go 500m in Dover. Apparently caused by the French passport control.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
          X