• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: Glowworms bred in captivity to be released in southern England

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: Glowworms bred in captivity to be released in southern England

""They once lit up summer nights, people read by their luminescence and they’ve been celebrated by everyone from William Shakespeare to Crowfoot, a 19th-century North American chief.

But glowworms have had their lights dimmed by a cult of tidiness in the countryside, the loss of wild meadows and light pollution.

Now, hundreds of glowworms (Lampyris noctiluca) are being bred in captivity for release in two locations this summer, in an attempt to revive the declining species.

More than 500 glowworm larvae have already been set free in the grounds of Elvetham hotel in Hampshire, where wildflower meadows and nature-friendly scrubland is being restored. Hundreds more larvae, and some glowing adults, will be released at the hotel again this summer, and at Combeshead in Cornwall, a rewilded farm and glamping site.

The four-year reintroduction project is led by ecologist Derek Gow, who owns Combeshead and has been responsible for successful schemes to return water voles and beavers to the British countryside."

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...uthern-england

I remember walking back through the lanes from my local pub back in the 80's and the hedgerows were completely illuminated by them. It's the one and only time I've seen them in the UK.

Comment

Cool story, Gricer

Comment

My family went on an organised glow worm walk a few years ago and were told there we could report sightings to and they would be protected.

We found some on the golf course onto which our house borders and they had to stop mowing parts of the fairway which I hope irritated the local gammon.

Comment

Originally posted by The Trade Winds View Post
          I remember walking back through the lanes from my local pub back in the 80's and the hedgerows were completely illuminated by them. It's the one and only time I've seen them in the UK.
          Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Cool story, Gricer
          Maybe he doesn't drink barley wine any more

Originally posted by Malcolm Buggeridge View Post

I remember quite often meandering back from the pub down country lanes flanked by hedgerows that were a kaleidoscope of glowing red and green pinpricks of light.

Mind you, I don't drink barley wine anymore.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Went looking for them last summer, found them at Bradbury Rings in Dorset (near Wimbourne). Had never seen them before so was cool.

I though someone was winding me up, so didn't take a camera, only had my phone. Definitely more impressive in real life lol

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Why is this a doom thread? Reintroducing them must be a boom, Shirley?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Why is this a doom thread?
                It was DOOM for new Gricer's sockie, no? He flown to the thread like a moth to light...

Comment

Working...
                X