• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm in the wrong business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in the wrong business

I'm in the wrong business... when people are selling a £1 grout pen at a special discount price of £23.00 .
    The YouTube advert does say it was invented by a housewife who wanted to do something about the tile grout in her bathroom and it would normally cost £300 each.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Marketing is quite hard you have to convince people they want something they don't need or is over priced.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I had to redo the silicone around a sink the other day and went to Homebase as it was close by. Yes they had what I wanted but at £15 a tube when I'm used to paying ~£3 Didn't buy from them but drove to the nearest Screwfix where I got it for £5 and bought a tub of grout for £6 all less than the one silicone form Homebase

Where are these prices coming from and are Homebase serious

Comment

It's because Screwfix scares people who don't usually do DIY. They don't get that the brand of special sealant they're overpaying for in B&Q / Homebase is exactly the same as the generic one in Screwfix - expensive means better!

My only grumble is that I often need just a little bit of something to fix a small job and am then faced with buying 20 times too much for a fiver or roughly what I need for £25.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          My only grumble is that I often need just a little bit of something to fix a small job and am then faced with buying 20 times too much for a fiver or roughly what I need for £25.
          Do you not have a waste savers group on FB for your local area? We've got one where you can put up anything you are giving away and on Wednesdays you can put wanted posts up. Tons of people asking to use a bit of sealant, paint, borrow a tool on ours. It's bloody great.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X