• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boris In Jail

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boris In Jail

No not that one the one who played tennis and use to comment on Wimbledon.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61276378

Former Wimbledon champion Boris Becker has been jailed for two and a half years for hiding £2.5m worth of assets and loans to avoid paying debts.

The 54-year-old six-time Grand Slam champion was found guilty of four charges under the Insolvency Act.

The case centred on Becker's bankruptcy in June 2017 resulting from an unpaid loan of more than £3m on his luxury estate in Mallorca, Spain.

Judge Deborah Taylor said he had shown no remorse or acceptance of guilt

Referring to Becker's previous conviction for tax evasion in Germany in 2002, she told Becker: "You did not heed the warning you were given and the chance you were given by the suspended sentence and that is a significant aggravating factor...

"You have... sought to distance yourself from your offending and your bankruptcy.

"While I accept your humiliation as part of the proceedings, there has been no humility."

Becker was legally obliged to disclose all of his assets so that his trustee could distribute available funds to his creditors, to whom he owed nearly £50m when he was declared bankrupt.

But earlier this month, after about two weeks hearing evidence, jurors found Becker guilty of removal of property, two counts of failing to disclose estate and concealing debt.

They acquitted him on a further 20 charges, including nine counts of failing to hand over his tennis trophies and medals, including two from Wimbledon.

Prosecutor Rebecca Chalkley said the jury had found the Wimbledon commentator had acted "deliberately and dishonestly".

She added: "Even now, Mr Becker is still seeking to blame others when it was obviously his duty."

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    had acted "deliberately and dishonestly".

Sounds like another Boris we know and dislike heavily
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by courtg9000 View Post

Sounds like another Boris we know and dislike heavily
      I wonder if he likes broom cupboards as well....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I was taken aback seeing this story - I knew he was going through the courts (again) but you don't normally expect celebs to get bird unless it's something really sordid.

A shame not to have him on Wimbledon this year, I wonder if they'll let him back in future.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Someone was wishful thinking!
          BBC's Naga Munchetty says Boris Johnson 'spent first night in jail' in awkward blunder - Mirror Online
          But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
          X