• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

is the IT market dead in the water?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

If managers think they can save money going cheap they will.
    Don't work for cheapskates!
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
      Almost total absence of my niche (Workday consultancy) contracts - was offered £600/day inside recently but needed to start immediately (and inside so no).

Very occasionally see an outside gig but I could count them on one hand since the PSC bans started.

I am a permie - not thrilled but I'd rather that than an inside gig.
      At the risk of being banned for asking a serious question, but why?

Personally I'd be happy with an inside role at a decent rate, rather than lower rate outside. So long as I'm on a take home after tax that is comparable surely inside is less hassle?

I'm perm too at the moment, but moving back to London soon (if house sales etc continues) so I'll be looking at contracts again and I'd be fine with 600 p/d inside via a brolly so long as I can dump into a pension via salary sacrifice.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Personally I'd be happy with an inside role at a decent rate, rather than lower rate outside. So long as I'm on a take home after tax that is comparable surely inside is less hassle?

I'm perm too at the moment, but moving back to London soon (if house sales etc continues) so I'll be looking at contracts again and I'd be fine with 600 p/d inside via a brolly so long as I can dump into a pension via salary sacrifice.
        To me, perm is better than an inside gig because the latter is perm but without the benefits. If I'm considered to be an employee then I want the free training, company mobile, 30 days paid holiday etc etc.

I get that an inside gig means you can shove loads of cash into a pension far easier than you could via employment but that's not a viable option for everyone.

I'm interested in why you think an inside contract is better than perm?

I am, of course, ignoring the dross that comes with perm work - 360 reviews, Sharon from Accounts counting how long you spend in the loo, etc.

Comment

My Linkedin inbox has been in overdrive the last few months - much more than normal.
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Never been busier
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
              Almost total absence of my niche (Workday consultancy) contracts - was offered £600/day inside recently but needed to start immediately (and inside so no).

Very occasionally see an outside gig but I could count them on one hand since the PSC bans started.

I am a permie - not thrilled but I'd rather that than an inside gig.
              What happened to your market? I was hiring contractors to work on payroll and HR projects only 3 years ago and most of the highest paid contractors seemed to be working with Workday or SuccessFactors. It seemed to be a licence to print money then - a lot of the CVs that landed on my desk were £800-1000pd or more.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post

What happened to your market? I was hiring contractors to work on payroll and HR projects only 3 years ago and most of the highest paid contractors seemed to be working with Workday or SuccessFactors. It seemed to be a licence to print money then - a lot of the CVs that landed on my desk were £800-1000pd or more.
                PSC bans.

Pretty much every org who I have ever worked for in the past or might be a prospect has a PSC ban and some even have a total contractor ban.

Comment

As Ladymuck said - if I have to be PAYE then I'll have the benefits, thanks.

Can't afford to dump massive sums into pension at present so no benefit.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

To me, perm is better than an inside gig because the latter is perm but without the benefits. If I'm considered to be an employee then I want the free training, company mobile, 30 days paid holiday etc etc.

I get that an inside gig means you can shove loads of cash into a pension far easier than you could via employment but that's not a viable option for everyone.

I'm interested in why you think an inside contract is better than perm?

I am, of course, ignoring the dross that comes with perm work - 360 reviews, Sharon from Accounts counting how long you spend in the loo, etc.
                    But my reasoning is, the inside role would be considerably more money than a perm, so the extra cash pays for the lost 'benefits'. A £600 per day inside for the kind of roles i do is worth far more than the £60k perm position plus benefits. And not many firms pay for training these days, I don't want a company mobile, and 30 days leave is like a 220 working year as a contractor, so I'd take the contract every time personally.

I am perm at the moment, but when back in London I'll be looking at contracts again. I hate the idea of being tied to a company, much prefer the freedom to move roles every 6-12 months.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

But my reasoning is, the inside role would be considerably more money than a perm, so the extra cash pays for the lost 'benefits'. A £600 per day inside for the kind of roles i do is worth far more than the £60k perm position plus benefits. And not many firms pay for training these days, I don't want a company mobile, and 30 days leave is like a 220 working year as a contractor, so I'd take the contract every time personally.

I am perm at the moment, but when back in London I'll be looking at contracts again. I hate the idea of being tied to a company, much prefer the freedom to move roles every 6-12 months.
                      Ah I get you. I see your point

Comment

Working...
                      X