• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCXLI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Gap Between Teams Meetings vol. DCXLI

Another busy day. Thank goodness there's a Bank Holiday next week
    • The Legend of the Music Tree - How a huge tree cut down in Belize in 1965 became the most prized wood in the world: ”The sound was resonant and true. But the most remarkable part was the look of the thing: Its back and sides rippled like a full moon reflecting off a dead calm sea. Mesmerizing.”
    • Scientists spy on Mount Etna with fiber-optic cables - ”Towering 11,000 feet above a million humans, Mount Etna is one of the most thoroughly monitored volcanoes on Earth… Researchers described how they used a technique known as distributed acoustic sensing, or DAS, to pick up seismic signals that conventional sensors missed.” Interesting use of dark cable
    • Key particle weighs in a bit heavy, confounding physicists - ”The grand explanation physicists use to describe how the universe works may have some major new flaws to patch after a fundamental particle was found to have more mass than scientists thought.” I daresay they’ll think up something preposterous to explain it soon
    • The Underground Nuclear Test Site at Novaya Zemlya - ”This is an annotated tour of Russia's Central Testing Ground at Novaya Zemlya, an archipelago in the Arctic Ocean… Comparing U.S. and Russian test sites helps illustrate how both countries approached nuclear testing during the Cold War, how they manage their stockpiles today in an era without explosive testing, and the continuing importance of arms control in preventing a return to the shared dangers of the arms race.”
    • Back of Your Hand - A simple but clever idea for a game: point the map at an area you know well, and it will ask you to pinpoint five places. This turns out to be harder than you might think. Well, it is for me, anyway; just now, I was some distance out locating a road I can see from my living room window
    • An Expedition into the Mystery of Crank Caverns - Folklorist John Reppion tries to untangle the various stories and legends surrounding a complex of sandstone tunnels near St. Helens, Merseyside: ”The Rainford Delph Quarry was a sandstone quarry near Crank, in use from the mid-1700s until the early 20th century. Excavated at multiple levels, mines there broke through into pre-existing caverns and tunnels in several places. This now long-abandoned network of tunnels is known locally as Crank Caverns. A wealth of folklore has grown up around the caverns, or perhaps more accurately, has emerged from within them… Let’s explore these weird caverns in depth. Via the remote safety of words on a screen, of course.”
    • How Nobel Candidate Javier Marías Became King of a Caribbean Island Because of a Novel - ”There are so many bizarre ingredients to this story, I don’t even know where to begin—except with a disclaimer. Everything here is true, even the parts that seem the least likely. In this instance, truth is not only stranger than fiction, but fiction made the truth even stranger.”
    • The Pied Piper of Psychedelic Toads - ”Octavio Rettig, an underground practitioner of 5-MeO-DMT, a hallucinogenic substance derived from Sonoran Desert toads, claims that he has revived a lost Mesoamerican ritual.” Licking toads will make you claim a lot of things
    • MuscleWiki - A simple idea for a site, but useful if you feel the need to exercise: click on a muscle group, and it will show you workouts of various kinds suitable for developing it.
    • Collector’s Item du Jour: Japanese Matchbox Art of the 1920s - ”In the 1920s and 1930s, matchboxes in Japan were a miniature billboard in the palm of your hand, promising a glamorous modern life of smoky bars, marcelled hair, and nude women entwined around giant goblets of wine. Produced with a traditional woodblock, the artwork showed influences from Bauhaus and Expressionism, making them a fascinating blend of East and West.”

Happy invoicing!

Key particle weighs in a bit heavy, confounding physicists - ”The grand explanation physicists use to describe how the universe works may have some major new flaws to patch after a fundamental particle was found to have more mass than scientists thought.” I daresay they’ll think up something preposterous to explain it soon
    As much as I don't understand any of it I am always drawn to the quantam physics storys. I always wonder how interesting it would be to actually understand enough for the article to mean something and then I realise exactly what they've put at the bottom of that story.

"Quantum mechanics is really beautiful and weird," Toback said. "Anyone who has not been deeply troubled by quantum mechanics has not understood it."
    To get to that level of understanding means it will actually trouble you, not give you an exciting and interesting read which I can totally understand.

Weird and fantastic stuff.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

• Back of Your Hand - A simple but clever idea for a game: point the map at an area you know well, and it will ask you to pinpoint five places. This turns out to be harder than you might think. Well, it is for me, anyway; just now, I was some distance out locating a road I can see from my living room window
      I was rubbish at this!

Comment

How was Back of my Hand able to find my location using GPS on my laptop?!

I wasn't aware there was a GPS receiver in the laptop!
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          How was Back of my Hand able to find my location using GPS on my laptop?!

I wasn't aware there was a GPS receiver in the laptop!
          Russians

Comment

Thanks Nick. I wouldn't mind one of those guitars

The MuscleWiki one looks handy, I've been trying to find something along this lines after getting back into the gym recently. In fact I've never really done weights and one problem I find is I have no idea what any of the exercises are called. I have the rather handy FitNotes app but it relies on you knowing what exercises you are doing. Regular wiki has a useful resource but point & click is nice.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I was rubbish at this!
              Yeah, not a hope on this. Be fun to try it on a taxi/delivery driver.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Back of Your Hand - A simple but clever idea for a game: point the map at an area you know well, and it will ask you to pinpoint five places. This turns out to be harder than you might think. Well, it is for me, anyway; just now, I was some distance out locating a road I can see from my living room window
                I got 88% but I've lived in this one-horse town for 16 years

One thing that helped is I recognised themes - eg for one new estate here all the roads are named after flowers so whilst I didn't know the particular road I could get close.
                Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 13 April 2022, 12:37.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post

I got 88% but I've lived in this one-horse town for 16 years

One thing that helped is I recognised themes - eg for one new estate here all the roads are named after flowers so whilst I didn't know the particular road I could get close.
                  I got 90%+, but then round my way there are only a handful of glorified goat tracks as roads, and most have been called the same since Saxon times!
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Yeah, not a hope on this. Be fun to try it on a taxi/delivery driver.
                    If only they'd asked where pubs, restaurants and off licenses were. I'd have been ace at that.

Comment

Working...
                    X