• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone at Cabot Square, Canary Wharf doing any work today?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone at Cabot Square, Canary Wharf doing any work today?

See here
    There has been a little incident!
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

Strangely earlier in the week I was at Cabot Circus - Bristol, Both were named after Giovanni(John) Cabot. Don't look now but they will need renaming!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cabot

He was a slave trader!

Fond memories of driving up via swiss cottage to see Morgan Stanley etc.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      Strangely earlier in the week I was at Cabot Circus - Bristol, Both were named after Giovanni(John) Cabot. Don't look now but they will need renaming!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Cabot

He was a slave trader!

Fond memories of driving up via swiss cottage to see Morgan Stanley etc.
      I thought John Cabot and his son Sebastian were just explorers and cartographers.

John Cabot was employed by the English King Henry VII to explore the coasts of North East America and what later became Canada. But I suppose that's not to deny he and/or his son may have done some slave trading on the quiet.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 April 2022, 11:49.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I thought John Cabot and his son Sebastian were just explorers and cartographers.

John Cabot was employed by the English King Henry VII to explore the coasts of North East America and what later became Canada. But I suppose that's not to deny he and/or his son may have done some slave trading on the quiet.
        Oh I know that hence the choice. Just stirring!

He presumably entered this trade shortly thereafter. A 1483 document refers to his selling a slave in Crete whom he had acquired while in the territories of the Sultan of Egypt, which then comprised most of what is now Israel, Syria and Lebanon.[
        Everyone was at it they bought off African kings like the Arabs and Egyptians had since 700 AD.

This tunnel vision of slavery is just to get reparations from the wealthy nations for buying Africans from Africans & Arabs - who then became wealthy. Most cynical.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X