• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BST

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BST

To welcome summer-time, it's pelting with snow here and set to go sub-zero.

Quite an interesting history to BST as it turns out. It's well-known we had double-summer time in WW2 but I hadn't known this was reintroduced post-war during fuel shortages... history repeating? Or that for for a period fo a few years, we had permanent summer time.

We could go the "Global Warming is dumb" line but let's stay topical...

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

I love the British weather.

Now where was the coat I bought for winter.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I very much dislike the twice-yearly messing about with clocks. We should stick to GMT such that solar noon is roughly clock noon (not exact, I know, but would be better aligned than now).

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        To welcome summer-time, it's pelting with snow here and set to go sub-zero. ..
        So glad I don't live perched on a rock in the Outer Hebrides, as it sounds like you do! It's warm and sunny here in Devon
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

So glad I don't live perched on a rock in the Outer Hebrides, as it sounds like you do! It's warm and sunny here in Devon
          Durham... so somewhere in-between Lovely last week but we have only just had the daffs appear and trees aren't in leaf yet. Imagine everything is well in bloom down there. It really is quite notable how much things vary - I came from Cornwall and doubly so there.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Durham... so somewhere in-between Lovely last week but we have only just had the daffs appear and trees aren't in leaf yet. Imagine everything is well in bloom down there. It really is quite notable how much things vary - I came from Cornwall and doubly so there.
            Yes, the daffs have been out for a couple of weeks here now, although I tend to prefer primroses as they last longer.

You may know this, as you sound like a gardening type. I've noticed there seem to be two distinct types of daffodils, one a deep yellow and the other a much paler almost white and with slightly smaller flowers. The whitish ones usually seem to be among the yellower ones, so most likely they are just a different variety of daffs. But I wondered if they might be another species entirely, and called something else.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Yes, the daffs have been out for a couple of weeks here now, although I tend to prefer primroses as they last longer.

You may know this, as you sound like a gardening type. I've noticed there seem to be two distinct types of daffodils, one a deep yellow and the other a much paler almost white and with slightly smaller flowers. The whitish ones usually seem to be among the yellower ones, so most likely they are just a different variety of daffs. But I wondered if they might be another species entirely, and called something else.
              All the daffs
              https://www.gardenia.net/plants/plan...s_--_daffodils

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Thanks. Good heavens, I had no idea there were so many varieties. I thought there were just the dark yellow ones!

I suppose next you'll be saying there's more than one kind of grass!
                Last edited by OwlHoot; 30 March 2022, 19:25.

Comment

My favourites are the white ones with orange trumpets.

Though I'd wondered if you were talking about narcissus which AFAIK are mini daffs

Comment

Loads of daffs out in our garden, many of them must have been planted years ago around trees that no longer exist, as we have 3 large clusters coming up in the lawn between some of the apple trees and near the big plum tree. The apple trees that are still here all have the same variety around them as the other clusters. The border near one wall of the garden has a wide variety and it's a good job they grew - the border has slate clippings on the top of it and we thought it was just somewhere the previous owner had plant pots until the daffs (and now tulips) started to appear.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X