• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is she coming home?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is she coming home?

Good news hopefully!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60756870

Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe, the British-Iranian woman detained in Iran nearly six years ago, is on her way to the UK, her MP has said.

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was at the airport in Tehran, Tulip Siddiq told BBC News.

She is in a holding room with fellow British-Iranian detainee Anoosheh Ashoori, she said.

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was arrested in 2016 - accused of plotting to overthrow Iran's government, which she denied.
    Mr Ashoori was arrested in 2017 and accused of spying, which he denied.
    Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe had been under house arrest and was given her UK passport back this week.

Her husband Richard Ratcliffe, who lives with their six-year-old daughter Gabriella in Hampstead, London, has not yet commented. He had campaigned for her release, including by going on hunger strike in October last year.

Ms Siddiq, Labour's MP for Hampstead and Kilburn, told BBC News that she had spoken to Mr Ratcliffe.

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe was at the airport with her passport, she said, but remained "under the control of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard".

She said a deal to secure her freedom had not "been completed yet".

"I won't rest until she is on British soil, in West Hampstead, in her house," she added.

Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe's sister-in-law Rebecca Ratcliffe told BBC News it was an "emotional day".

"It feels like we're on the home run now but until she leaves that airport we can't believe it," she said, adding that she had also spoken to Mr Ratcliffe.

She said Mrs Zaghari-Ratcliffe had been picked up and taken to the airport with her parents, who were not allowed in a holding room with her because she was "still under Iranian control in the airport".

"She's still not free. But it definitely feels like she's about to be," she said.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

They have now left Tehran!

Comment

BoJo has released some Iranian funds frozen at the time the Shah was in power
      Last edited by Paddy; 16 March 2022, 12:53.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
        BoJo has released some Iranian funds frozen at the time the Sha was in power
        What took them so bloody long? Let me guess what Iran has...

Comment

excellent stuff. I was reminded this morning how lucky we are to live in the UK, someone was pointing out very few countries we go to for energy have even vaguely good human rights issues. Iraq, Iran, Saudi , China and even the US still execute people on a regular basis we should have moved away from dependency on them decades ago.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            excellent stuff. I was reminded this morning how lucky we are to live in the UK, someone was pointing out very few countries we go to for energy have even vaguely good human rights issues. Iraq, Iran, Saudi , China and even the US still execute people on a regular basis we should have moved away from dependency on them decades ago.
            Oil well that ends well.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Huh, I'd have thought vetran was pro capital punishment.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

Oil well that ends well.
                Cynic!

(Like myself and loads of people.)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Huh, I'd have thought vetran was pro capital punishment.
                  I see the issue now -
                  I'd have thought
                  Why? Its quite difficult to reattach the head of a falsely accused criminal after using a sword on it.

I am all for decent and effective punishment.
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Why?.
                    Strong correlation between Daily Mail readers and support for the death penalty.

And of course there's your personality.
                    Last edited by d000hg; 16 March 2022, 15:22.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X