• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is USA tax(or vat) on purchases based on state or localities within state?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is USA tax(or vat) on purchases based on state or localities within state?

I purchase some items online (M&S USA) delivered to a North Carolina address. Internet shows tax for NC as 5.25% yet my invoice indicated I was charged close to 7.25%.

Assuming I was not overcharged, Is tax based on the state or where in the state item is delivered to?

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
    I purchase some items online (M&S USA) delivered to a North Carolina address. Internet shows tax for NC as 5.25% yet my invoice indicated I was charged close to 7.25%.

Assuming I was not overcharged, Is tax based on the state or where in the state item is delivered to?
    What state was it ordered from?
    While you say you were "charged close to 7.25%", what do you mean? What were the exact figures? What does the invoice show the charge was for?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The main rate of sales tax is administered at a state level, but local counties and cities can impose an additional sales tax. There was probably no error.

Comment

This is something you could've easily found out yourself though, you lazy fecker.

For example, NC charges a 4.75% rate at the state level and up to 2.75% extra at a local level, which means up to 7.5% depending on locality.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

What state was it ordered from?
          While you say you were "charged close to 7.25%", what do you mean? What were the exact figures? What does the invoice show the charge was for?
          I ordered online from M&S usa website via a vpn. The invoice (or website) does not state the % , just the amount of tax which I calculated at 7.258%

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          The main rate of sales tax is administered at a state level, but local counties and cities can impose an additional sales tax. There was probably no error.
          I wonder how this affects online purchases. That would mean Retailers have to calculate tax all the way down to individual addresses

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          This is something you could've easily found out yourself though, you lazy fecker.

For example, NC charges a 4.75% rate at the state level and up to 2.75% extra at a local level, which means up to 7.5% depending on locality.
          I did check but I can only see 5.25%. I was also expecting a flat rate per state

Comment

I'm surprised you don't get a breakdown of taxes. Have you tried contacting them to ask for one?

I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but shops sometimes used to show the untaxed price on shelves which to a visitor was pretty confusing.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

I'm not sure if it's still a thing, but shops sometimes used to show the untaxed price on shelves which to a visitor was pretty confusing.
              Yes, it's still a thing.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

What part of Contractor UK did you miss? You're asking random strangers on a UK forum what tax rate applies in US states .... good luck with that.
                I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
                  What part of Contractor UK did you miss? You're asking random strangers on a UK forum what tax rate applies in US states .... good luck with that.
                  Maybe they think as affluent contractors some of us are experienced jet-setting travellers.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Maybe they think as affluent contractors some of us are experienced jet-setting travellers.
                    We are ... but not sure how many of us order online in the US from a store in one state to be delivered to an address in another other state.
                    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
                    X