• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Adrian Chiles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adrian Chiles

The story keeps popping up in my timeline and is now in the fail.
    ​​​​​​https://www.ftadviser.com/regulation...-against-hmrc/

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bill-HMRC.html
    TV and radio host Adrian Chiles will avoid a £1.7million bill after winning a seven-year legal battle with tax chiefs.

HM Revenue and Customs claimed the former One Show and Match of the Day 2 presenter was not a freelancer when he worked for BBC and ITV between 2012 and 2017, arguing he should have paid more tax as an employee.

But Mr Chiles, 54, had worked as a contractor through his company Basic Broadcasting Limited since 1996.

HMRC alleged he owed £1.2million in income tax and almost £500,000 in national insurance but a tribunal ruled that there was ‘no suggestion he set out to avoid paying tax’.

Despite winning the case, he will have to pay his legal fees. Contractors typically pay corporation tax at 19 per cent and national insurance at nine per cent.

HMRC, which is also pursuing Match of the Day’s Gary Lineker for almost £5million, said it ‘will carefully analyse the outcome of the tribunal’.

A spokesman for Mr Chiles, who hosts Chiles On Friday on Radio 5 Live, was unavailable for comment.

Mr Chiles worked on BBC programmes such as The One Show, Match of the Day 2 and The Apprentice: You’re Fired during his career.

He also fronted ITV’s football coverage between 2010 and 2015, as well as presenting morning show Daybreak in 2010 and 2011.
    Last edited by SueEllen; 17 February 2022, 14:56.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Is it just me but 'worked for the BBC and ITV' should be a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
      Is it just me but 'worked for the BBC and ITV' should be a clue.
      Sort of. It's true that this case did emphasise in-business factors, but it's perfectly possible to have two actual employments and, hence, two disguised employments too.

Comment

Plenty of true contractors have worked at both. I have frequently had multiple customers.

If they had nailed the IR35 conditions properly he should have been caught, he should be in most people's opinion.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X