• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 11 File Explorer right click

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 11 File Explorer right click

Anyone noticed that when right-clicking in Windows 11 File Explorer, most of the file-related options are now tucked away in a "Show more options". So to copy and paste and rename files, one has to do two clicks every time!

Also, in the "New" list of file types, vanilla text files no longer appear as an option, which is even more annoying. One has to choose "rich text files" and then name the file with a ".txt" suffix (or whatever suffix is required, e.g. ".py") and then edit them to remove the crud at the start.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

My computer has a keyboard for copy-paste. If you select a file then click on it, the name becomes editable. So possibly these two menu options are moved as being barely used?

New File sounds a bit of a PITA but I suppose you can just do this in your handy text editor that's always open (least for me, mine is Notepad++). I wouldn't be surprised if you can turn some of these things back on though?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Does F2 for rename work?
      Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V. Also extended select, does that still work?

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        Does F2 for rename work?
        Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V. Also extended select, does that still work?

Most of the time I use the good old Ctrl shortcuts, there are many of them and they also work in many apps. Ctrl Z Ctrl Y have been lifesavers. Ctrl Z even undoes accidental folder moves in Windows.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Pros use FAR

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            Pros use FAR

Is that what NLyUK uses to add the nut related extras?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              My computer has a keyboard for copy-paste. If you select a file then click on it, the name becomes editable. So possibly these two menu options are moved as being barely used?

New File sounds a bit of a PITA but I suppose you can just do this in your handy text editor that's always open (least for me, mine is Notepad++). I wouldn't be surprised if you can turn some of these things back on though?
              + 1 for Notepad++

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

+ 1 for Notepad++
                I also use Notepad++. But it has one or two extremely irritating features, such as an instatiable urge to change ones highlighted search string!

I really do wish there was a config option "never ever change search string to highlighted string, or string that happens to be somewhere near the cursor"
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

I also use Notepad++. But it has one or two extremely irritating features, such as an instatiable urge to change ones highlighted search string!

I really do wish there was a config option "never ever change search string to highlighted string, or string that happens to be somewhere near the cursor"
                  That and ssms both. flaming annoying.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

+ 1 for Notepad++
                    "Brief" ftw! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brief_(text_editor)

Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Working...
                    X