• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

GoFundMe speed record....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David71 View Post

Yep, that's my main 'gripe'.

When I had to raise over 36k for (urgently needed) private operation for my youngest child just before 'covid' I never even thought of setting up an online begging page or asking (anyone) for money.

Instead we re-mortgaged, maxed out a credit card and used all of the family savings....you know, the 'old fashioned' way of dealing with things.
    What an absolutely and utterly bizarre take - it's not that families fault you didn't want to ask or accept help. Nobody is forcing you to donate, and like you didn't ask for a poorly child, they didn't ask for their child to be killed. I honestly, no matter how hard I try, can't figure out your problem.

It's not like the concept of charitable giving is a new thing.

Just as an aside, why did you have to go private for an urgently needed operation?

Comment

Originally posted by David71 View Post

Yep, that's my main 'gripe'.

When I had to raise over 36k for (urgently needed) private operation for my youngest child just before 'covid' I never even thought of setting up an online begging page or asking (anyone) for money.

Instead we re-mortgaged, maxed out a credit card and used all of the family savings....you know, the 'old fashioned' way of dealing with things.
      The 'old fashioned' way of dealing with things would usually involve letting nature take its course and having another sprog. Depending on how far you wish to go back in history, obviously.
      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Weirdest one on my local facebook page recently was parents setting up a gofundme page to try send their daughter (apparently a talented musician) to a top college in the USA. Each to their own, but it didn't seem to be gaining much traction with the local community...

Comment

Working...
        X