• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Official DOOM: Trolls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Official DOOM: Trolls

"Internet trolls who harass people online will be jailed, promises Nadine Dorries

Culture Secretary backs proposals for maximum five-year prison sentences to combat cyber bullying under new online harms legislation

Harassing and abusing people online will be made criminal offences carrying jail sentences of up to five years, under new duty of care laws.

Nadine Dorries, the Culture Secretary, has accepted Law Commission proposals for three new offences to combat “harmful” and “threatening” emails, social media posts and WhatsApp messages, as well as “pile-on” harassment in which individuals are targeted by multiple users.

They will form part of the Government’s new duty of care Bill, for which The Telegraph has campaigned for three years, and where social media giants such as Facebook could be hit by multi-billion pound fines if they fail to prevent and remove illegal content on their sites.

Anyone sending a communication intended to cause harm without reasonable excuse could be prosecuted under a new offence based on the psychological distress it causes to the victim rather than the content of the message. There will be a maximum two-year jail sentence.

A second offence of sending or posting a communication that conveys a threat of serious harm will carry a maximum five-year jail sentence. It is designed to better protect public figures such as MPs, celebrities, footballers and victims of domestic abuse, stalking or coercive online behaviour.

Anyone convicted of the third offence, of sending false communications such as fake cures for Covid, will face a maximum one-year jail term, although courts will be required to show that the perpetrator knew it was untrue when they sent it.

Free speech will be enshrined in the new laws amid fears that the new offences could have a chilling effect on the public’s ability to speak out. None of the offences will apply to regulated media such as print and online journalism, TV, radio and film."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/202...omises-nadine/

Does "reasonable excuse" include the fact that the person you are abusing is a total *****?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Does "reasonable excuse" include the fact that the person you are abusing is a total *****?
      Nope.

The English language allows you to insult people in clever ways.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I should really start campaign to get BR14 unbanned ...

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          I should really start campaign to get BR14 unbanned ...
          No.

I don't want all my threads answered with who gives a f*** and other such things.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            I don't want all my threads answered with who gives a f*** and other such things.
            That would be clear abuse, punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

Sounds good?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

That would be clear abuse, punishable by up to 5 years in prison.

Sounds good?
              Nah I like the fact he's banned and we have to work out which new poster he may be.

Comment

Nah I like the fact he's banned and we have to work out which new poster he may be.
                It would be a lot funnier if he has to do it from prison - smuggling a smartphone won't be as easy as Nokia 3310...

Comment

Nope.

The English language allows you to insult people in clever ways.
                  There is.
                  I'm not sure how though.
                  Time will tell I guess.

How can they police it though
                  Even if it's cryptic
                  And not obvious to everyone
                  Don't think this will end well.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Anyone sending a communication intended to cause harm without reasonable excuse could be prosecuted under a new offence based on the psychological distress it causes to the victim rather than the content of the message. There will be a maximum two-year jail sentence.
                    Mumsnet is going to be awful quiet once it lands
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 5 February 2022, 17:08.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X