• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A case for the death penalty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BigPhill
    It cost approxiamately £200K per year to incarcerate someone no wonder we are all paying lots of taxes.
    That is the biggest crime of all. Ship all the crims to South American, African and Asian countries. They get good jobs in security and we get a 70% cut in prison costs.

Comment

[QUOTE=SallyAnne]
      Originally posted by John Galt

I dont agree with most of this John, as per usual.

Society is more than just people. Its social conditions, customs, expectations, traditions, laws, identity - I could go on.

Not all people have a choice in their actions. For reasons I explained earlier, I believe people are often products of their environment, products of the cards they (or thier parents) have been dealt, products are their aspirations and abilities, and products of their wealth and status. Not all people have a real choice. And in my opinion, its no choice at all if the alternative is either starvation, poverty, misery, sufferring, etc. I can even understand to some extent when the alternative is boredom.

I dont believe in the flippant comment about people having to help themselves either - I actually believe in our taxes, our healthcare system, our education system...I believe in the rich helping the poor, the educated advising the un-educated, etc.
      Sally Ann you absolutely have to be a young twenty-something to have had this rubbish drummed into you. Give me an example of someone not having a choice - everything you have quoted is just an excuse. Everyone, unless they are a sociopath or phsycopath has a basic sense of right and wrong; if people then chose to commit a crime they must accept full responsibility for their actions and not blame 'society' (which incidentally goes back to what Margaret Thatcher was talking about)

Comment

Working...
      X