• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Highway code

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    As part of that they had to answer six random questions on the Highway Code. It was (not!) surprising how many failed the first time around.
    The theory test was introduced in 1996, so there are a lot of drivers who've never done one; they just answered a few questions picked at random during the practical test. (I remember the old double-bluff about stopping distances: "They expect you to memorise them, so they never ask, so you can get away with not learning them.") I've seen people get caught out by newer changes, e.g. not knowing the difference between yellow lines (no waiting) and red lines (no stopping).

Now that photocard licences have to be renewed every 10 years, I'd like to see an extra requirement to pass the theory test and do an eyesight test (e.g. within the previous month). That would give some incentive to stay up to date with changes to the Highway Code.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

Now that photocard licences have to be renewed every 10 years, I'd like to see an extra requirement to pass the theory test and do an eyesight test (e.g. within the previous month). That would give some incentive to stay up to date with changes to the Highway Code.
      They wouldn't be able to administer the first.

The second could easily given to opticians to do but I doubt they want to do it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        The cross-referencing aspect should be easy enough, and I assume they've got a lot of it in place already. I.e. when you pass a theory test, that gets logged against your driving licence number, and then it gets checked when you pass the practical test before you actually get the new category on your licence. All they'd need to do is add an expiry date, and they already have that for the licence itself.

In terms of capacity, this could use the same infrastructure as IT certifications. E.g. if I want to do a Cisco exam, I can either go to a Pearson Vue test centre or I can do it at home via online proctoring. The people who run the test centre or watch the webcam don't need any specific knowledge about the subject matter, they just have to check your ID and then click the button to start the test. If there was suddenly enough demand to create a waiting list, I'm sure that there would be a corresponding growth in supply to match it.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The second could easily given to opticians to do but I doubt they want to do it.
          I reckon the opticians would be happy to earn a few bob doing extra eye tests!

For those who regularly go for an eye test, I don't think it would be a big deal to schedule your normal examination to coincide with any licence requirement.

Comment

Originally posted by hobnob View Post

The theory test was introduced in 1996, so there are a lot of drivers who've never done one; they just answered a few questions picked at random during the practical test. (I remember the old double-bluff about stopping distances: "They expect you to memorise them, so they never ask, so you can get away with not learning them.") I've seen people get caught out by newer changes, e.g. not knowing the difference between yellow lines (no waiting) and red lines (no stopping).

I remember the theory test , think it was July 1996 it was introduced. It was in paper format back then.

I think it's also a good idea that people who have to renew thier license to undertake a 1 day basic motorcycle course like a CBT to understand the nature of the road . I did a course before and being on 2 wheels does give you a better reality for levels of speed and braking .
            Last edited by Scorp1; 29 January 2022, 09:11.

Comment

Working...
            X