• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BR14

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

BR14 is a command code in an old programming language IIRC
    Basically comes from this, a program that basically does nothing: https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/zos-basi...almost-nothing

IEFBR14 is the mysterious IBM utility program that is usually used to create or delete files. How does IEFBR14 create and delete files? It Doesn't! IEFBR14 is simply an assembler program that consists of the following source code:
    Code:
    SR 15,15 CLEAR RETURN CODE
    BR 14 RETURN TO CALLER
    The code in IEFBR14 is the minimum, although not the most efficient, that will create a 'do nothing' program and still satisfy the IBM standard calling convention. The instruction, 'SR 15,15' simply clears general register 15 to zero. Register 15 is the register where MVS expects the return code from a terminating program. The instruction 'BR 14' transfers control to the address stored in general register 14, which by convention, is the return address in the calling program. The calling program is normally the MVS initiator that was selected by the MVS task scheduler to process the job. Note that the program IEFBR14 takes it's name from the 'BR 14' instruction. So how does IEFBR14 facilitate the creation and/or deletion of a file? Before MVS initiates a task step, the allocation services address space (ALLOCAS) is called to allocate any data sets specified in the step's JCL. Since it is allocation services that creates new data sets, the creation is done before control is transferred to IEFBR14. Similarly, unallocation services (also ALLOCAS) is called when a step ends to perform the requested disposition of all allocated data sets according the 'DISP=...' parameter of the DD statement. Since all prgrams initiated by JCL are serviced by allocation and unallocation services, ANY program can be used to create and/or delete files. Some installations utilize console message and/or memory dump programs that execute conditionally based on a previous steps' return codes. By adding transient and/ or GDG datasets to the abend step with a disposition of '(SHR,DELETE,DELETE)' can eliminate the need for manual intervention in cleaning up the job's data set environment before the job can be successfully restarted.
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

I thought he was a gov/agency shill. As I also thought about some other people around this space.

got paranoid and stopped coming.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
        I thought he was a gov/agency shill. As I also thought about some other people around this space.

got paranoid and stopped coming.
        You should have come to the Christmas drinks - you'd know then that no government would hire those folk

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

You should have come to the Christmas drinks - you'd know then that no government would hire those folk
          Oh I don't know some of us get hired!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Ok. No government intelligence agency would hire these folk.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Click image for larger version

Name:	m3VNsPs.png
Views:	37
Size:	279.9 KB
ID:	4202422

Comment

Working...
              X