• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

To be in prison, or not to be in prison

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To be in prison, or not to be in prison

Originally posted by BBC News
    A man told by a judge to read classic literature after being found guilty of a terrorism offence will be jailed after a suspended sentence was quashed.

Ben John, who police described as a white supremacist, was given a two-year suspended sentence in August.

The 22-year-old was convicted of having a copy of the Anarchist Cookbook on a computer hard drive.

The Court of Appeal ruled the original sentence was unlawful and ordered John to serve two years in prison.
    Probably less Jane Austen, but he might get up to some dickens.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Illegal? Googled Anarchist Cookbook and it seems to be freely available on Amazon.

PS Oh dear, I'll probably be arrested for Googling it.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Hmm, not possession but intent behind it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41802493

"It's not actually technically against the law to have it, but when they're arresting you on suspicion of commission and preparation of acts of terror it becomes a thing because it can be argued that there's a possibility it could be used in terrorism and because they couldn't get me on anything else," Mr Walker said.
      Last edited by xoggoth; 19 January 2022, 17:21.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        Illegal? Googled Anarchist Cookbook and it seems to be freely available on Amazon.

PS Oh dear, I'll probably be arrested for Googling it.
        I got banned from the school IT room for a while for having a copy in the 90s
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Hmm, not possession but intent behind it.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-41802493
          The key part being "because they couldn't get me on anything else," - what next, "Arrested for use of Google Earth"?
          Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

The key part being "because they couldn't get me on anything else," - what next, "Arrested for use of Google Earth"?
            I guess you watched the entire interview on Inside Out West to see that he came across as a credible defendant?
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
            X