• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

YouTube: Old London

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

YouTube: Old London

Fascinating tour of Fleet Street and its environs delving into the many myths and legends associated with the historic buildings and alleyways found in that area.
    I used to work in that area myself so am familiar with its geography - in fact, Temple is one of my favourite areas & I often used to visit the Inner Courtyards to escape the chaos.

But I had no idea the steeple of St Brides was the blueprint for the design of the traditional multi-tiered wedding cake! I also didn't know the area was once known as Alsatia because of its lawlessness (c.f. Alsace - the eastern region of France constantly changing hands between France and Germany).

The presenter is actually very good - a bit like an eccentric schoolmaster and the enthusiasm he exudes is quite engaging.

A good watch for anyone who is familiar with the area.

If you work around that area it is worth taking a look and a walk around the RCJ. There are no official tours during covid.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Roll Out The Farrell View Post
      Fascinating tour of Fleet Street and its environs delving into the many myths and legends associated with the historic buildings and alleyways found in that area.
      I used to work in that area myself so am familiar with its geography - in fact, Temple is one of my favourite areas & I often used to visit the Inner Courtyards to escape the chaos.

But I had no idea the steeple of St Brides was the blueprint for the design of the traditional multi-tiered wedding cake! I also didn't know the area was once known as Alsatia because of its lawlessness (c.f. Alsace - the eastern region of France constantly changing hands between France and Germany).

The presenter is actually very good - a bit like an eccentric schoolmaster and the enthusiasm he exudes is quite engaging.

A good watch for anyone who is familiar with the area.

Beneath your feet below the street was a sixty foot deep pile of rubble of Old St Pauls, which Christopher Wren, the hooligan, blew up with gunpowder to make way for his new upturned tit! I reckon they could easily have saved most of the old cathedral had they wished, although to be fair some of it was in a somewhat wobbly state after its roof was burned during the Great Fire of London.

Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Beneath your feet below the street was a sixty foot deep pile of rubble of Old St Pauls, which Christopher Wren, the hooligan, blew up with gunpowder to make way for his new upturned tit! I reckon they could easily have saved most of the old cathedral had they wished, although to be fair some of it was in a somewhat wobbly state after its roof was burned during the Great Fire of London.
        Yes, there really is some amazing history there.

I remember years ago when I worked at Martins Brokers, there was this chap who used to come in regularly to patch some back office software and he had an encyclopaedic knowledge of it all. The walk to the server room was always filled with his the tales of old London - I remember on one occasion he warned me "to be careful, old chap, because you're about to walk over the grave of King Lud".

Odd character, and I never really liked being stuck in the airlock with him to be honest.
        Last edited by Roll Out The Farrell; 14 January 2022, 16:16.

Comment

Inneresting
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            Inneresting
            Hmmm, yes I had the same faint vibe
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Hmmm, yes I had the same faint vibe
              That's a new definition of "faint" that we've never previously encountered.

For at least a month or so.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
              X