• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Not in the public interest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Huh?

Different countries, different legal jurisdiction, different ways to exclude jurors.

Or are you saying you really don't understand that?
    It is exactly the same, a jury here and there will be expected to follow the legal process and deliberate only on the facts of the case. That all goes out the window when a portion of the jury just goes off on some "well I know what they said but here is how I think it should work" crusade.

(to your credit, you, unlike others, connected the dots)

lawyers will be defending any old crime soon with 'systematic injustice' crap, knowing a proportion of the jury will take it in.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

It is exactly the same, a jury here and there will be expected to follow the legal process and deliberate only on the facts of the case. That all goes out the window when a portion of the jury just goes off on some "well I know what they said but here is how I think it should work" crusade.

(to your credit, you, unlike others, connected the dots)

lawyers will be defending any old crime soon with 'systematic injustice' crap, knowing a proportion of the jury will take it in.
      No different legal jurisdictions have different laws so you can't compare what happens in the US to here (England) even though both countries are democracies.

There are other cases in England where people have got of criminal damage using a similar defence e.g. case from 1996 - https://wagingnonviolence.org/2015/1...oughares-book/

The statue case and the 1996 case don't set legal precedents as they haven't been to a higher court e.g. supreme court, European Court of Human Rights

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

No different legal jurisdictions have different laws so you can't compare what happens in the US to here (England) even though both countries are democracies.
        The US is a constitutional republic.

And on that note...

Comment

And on that note...
          You are going to piss off?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The US is a constitutional republic.
            Not quite.

It's a representative democracy. Nothing "constitutional" about it.

Here's a link to a US government page that explains it:
            https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...u_handouts.pdf

If you want to use the term "republic" when describing the US, then it's a Federal Republic.

I'm happy to be educated if you can find a US government website that says the US is a "Constitutional republic"
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Not quite.

It's a representative democracy. Nothing "constitutional" about it.

Here's a link to a US government page that explains it:
              https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/...u_handouts.pdf

If you want to use the term "republic" when describing the US, then it's a Federal Republic.

I'm happy to be educated if you can find a US government website that says the US is a "Constitutional republic"
              https://ar.usembassy.gov/education-c...-s-government/
              Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Interesting - that says it's a constitutional federal republic, not a "constitutional republic"

Choose your userID and stick to it you absolute thief.
                Oops, sorry, absolute oxygen thief.

I left out the middle word, so it meant something different.

Comment

Interesting - that says it's a constitutional federal republic, not a "constitutional republic"

Something tells me that you have the means to check if Minestrone and I are one and the same.

Or is that another area in which you require education?
                  Old Greg - In search of acceptance since Mar 2007. Hoping each leap will be his last.

Comment

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post

Something tells me that you have the means to check if Minestrone and I are one and the same.

Or is that another area in which you require education?
                    Something tells me that you were proved wrong so you choose to change your "attack"

Comment

Oh, the ironing.

Originally posted by WTFH
                      Something tells me that you were proved wrong so you choose to change your "attack"

Comment

Working...
                      X