• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: "Omicron Covid cases ‘doubling every two to three days’ in UK"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I'm working in a team of 10, and currently 3 have tested positive for covid. All three are still working as they aren't that ill, and as they work from home they are no risk to the office. None, as far as I know, have any pre-existing conditions. I don't think they know what flavour of covid they have, but the assumption is Omicron.
    Depends where they are in the country what the flavour is.

​​​
    ​​​​​​
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      WGAFF what you lot think?
      do you think your constant stream of miserable whining will make a blind bit of difference?
      geez.
      Says the grumpy idiot that no one likes or listens to.
      I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Depends where they are in the country what the flavour is.

​​​
        ​​​​​​
        South West .... Bristol and Swindon areas. Not sure if that is Omicron central or not?
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

South West .... Bristol and Swindon areas. Not sure if that is Omicron central or not?
          Well it will be moving around the country since schools finished.

​​​​​​

Comment

Well I guess what we can say about Omicron - and I hope I am not speaking too soon - is thank **** it has turned out to be a mild as it has, because it hadn't we really would be in a bad place. And no, it wasn't "inevitable" that it would become milder, but it was always a possibility which thankfully looks like it has come to pass. Make no mistake though, this result is all about luck and not at all to do with judgement; the govt made the decision to let this rip long before they had enough evidence to determine the outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
              Well I guess what we can say about Omicron - and I hope I am not speaking too soon - is thank **** it has turned out to be a mild as it has, because it hadn't we really would be in a bad place. And no, it wasn't "inevitable" that it would become milder, but it was always a possibility which thankfully looks like it has come to pass. Make no mistake though, this result is all about luck and not at all to do with judgement; the govt made the decision to let this rip long before they had enough evidence to determine the outcome.
              People are acting sensibly in spite of not because of the UK government.

However a 50% less virulent version with a 50% increase in spread doesn't mean the NHS is out of the woods if large numbers of people aren't vaccinated in certain areas. Those areas being where more deprived people live who are more likely to have underlying conditions....

https://metro.co.uk/2021/12/24/covid...ming-15819972/
              Last edited by SueEllen; 24 December 2021, 16:08.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

People are acting sensibly in spite of not because of the UK government.
                True, but short of staying in your home there doesn't appear to be much you can do to avoid catching Omicron, as evidenced by the numbers (likely massive undercount) despite empty pubs etc. Hopefully it's way more than 50% milder (esp with vax) or we could still be screwed, but hospital numbers not going crazy yet. We'll know in a week I guess.

Comment

With such high measles like spread and guaranteed future variants evading immune system even better things are not very rosy, BUT Pfizer treatment should hopefully work on all variants and that's 95% reduction in hospitalisation (as long as quick diagnosis).

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

True, but short of staying in your home there doesn't appear to be much you can do to avoid catching Omicron, as evidenced by the numbers (likely massive undercount) despite empty pubs etc. Hopefully it's way more than 50% milder (esp with vax) or we could still be screwed, but hospital numbers not going crazy yet. We'll know in a week I guess.
                    Yep - 122,186 today.

Now we have a load of bank holidays which will hide the testing figures.

​​​

​​​​​

Comment

Hospitalisation going up a lot and that from infections 2 weeks ago

Comment

Working...
                      X