• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Half our posters out of work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Half our posters out of work

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet...ook-fries.html

Flippy gets an upgrade! Robot chef that can flip up to 300 burgers a DAY can now also fill up baskets of fries and place them in the deep fat fryer
    • California-based Miso Robotics developed the automated fryer and fry cook
    • It can flip up to 300 burgers per day and completely fill baskets of fries
    • The firm says this allows human staff to take on other duties and is safer
    Leaves Assgoo to do the gherkin!

Yep who needs employees?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

They need another robot to supply the flipping robot.

Can it also empty the basket of fries and put them in the little paper bags?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      They need another robot to supply the flipping robot.

Can it also empty the basket of fries and put them in the little paper bags?
      until our robot overlords are ready they have to be subtle.

Pizza printing is a thing, burger flipping will be.

Comment

Is it just me or is "flipping 300 burgers per DAY" not very impressive at all? In a 10 hour 'shift' that's 1 burger every 2 minutes?

I don't know how many burgers an average McDonalds sells but I'd guess it's quite a bit more than 1 patty per 2 minutes

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
          Is it just me or is "flipping 300 burgers per DAY" not very impressive at all? In a 10 hour 'shift' that's 1 burger every 2 minutes?

I don't know how many burgers an average McDonalds sells but I'd guess it's quite a bit more than 1 patty per 2 minutes
          yep good point.

Comment

One of the limiting factors is the machines that cook the burgers .. they only have so many, and therefore there is a finite number of burgers that can be cooked each time period. This is one reason you can't have a breakfast there after 11.30, as the machines are switched to cook the beef burgers from the breakfast things.

I speak from experience ... have spent 2 shifts in a McDonalds in my student days in Sheffield ... worst 2 days of my life! But very eye opening.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

One of the limiting factors is the machines that cook the burgers .. they only have so many, and therefore there is a finite number of burgers that can be cooked each time period. This is one reason you can't have a breakfast there after 11.30, as the machines are switched to cook the beef burgers from the breakfast things.

I speak from experience ... have spent 2 shifts in a McDonalds in my student days in Sheffield ... worst 2 days of my life! But very eye opening.
              Agreed, but I bet that number is a hell of a lot more than 300/day

Comment

Agreed, but I bet that number is a hell of a lot more than 300/day
                I wonder what the limitation is ?

I doubt its an inherent technical issue that can't be solved with a little time. If we can develop self driving cars then flipping burgers should be easy.

I assumed that burger flipping would be replaced with burger toasting machines with conveyor belts like you see doing toast in hotels. Same for fries.

When you go into a fully automated factory the problems are solved holistically just scaling up manual effort isn't good enough.

Well Whorty at least you have a fall-back position. Repairing TVs has sort of died out.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I wonder what the limitation is ?

I doubt its an inherent technical issue that can't be solved with a little time. If we can develop self driving cars then flipping burgers should be easy.

I assumed that burger flipping would be replaced with burger toasting machines with conveyor belts like you see doing toast in hotels. Same for fries.

When you go into a fully automated factory the problems are solved holistically just scaling up manual effort isn't good enough.

Well Whorty at least you have a fall-back position. Repairing TVs has sort of died out.
                  You think I should put that 2 days of Meadowhall Maccy D's in 1992 back on to my CV? Great advice ... I'll update it now

The limitation as I saw then, and a lot may have changed in 30 years, is the size of the machines and the space available in the 'kitchens' limited how many can be produced. If memory serves me well, I think each machine can cook 6 burgers at a time ... so the process is ...

- Grill top flips up
                  - flip on 6 frozen burgers
                  - pull top down and press start (takes 2-3 mins i think to cook?)
                  - Get 6 buns. Add salad, cheese, bacon, dressing etc to the 6 buns (or 2 buns if BR14 has come in for a fat boy tripple burger)
                  - top flips up, add burgers to buns and season
                  - package buns and add to warming area before purchase
                  - rinse and repeat

So you're probably talking 6 mins per batch of 6 burgers, per machine (with a bit of scrapping and cleaning between cooking)

About 60 burgers an hour per machine, assuming you need to cook that volume - busy periods yes, quiet periods you cook to demand as the finished burgers can only sit so long in the warming area before being thrown away, and the restaurant manager is measured on wastage so they have to control what volume gets cooked.

Some of the detail may be slightly off, but this is pretty much it.

In Meadowhall, which was a large site, they still only had a small number of machines. Some dedicated to fish, chicken, veggie too so you can't just suddenly switch all machines to burgers if demand goes up without a thorough clean etc.

HTH
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

Some of the detail may be slightly off, but this is pretty much it.

In Meadowhall, which was a large site, they still only had a small number of machines. Some dedicated to fish, chicken, veggie too so you can't just suddenly switch all machines to burgers if demand goes up without a thorough clean etc.

HTH
                    It does actually, I read it as 300/hour but as you say grill availability is an issue. I'm used to Woodys who have a 6ft by 2ft grill but yes they would struggle to do more than about 30 on it.

I was thinking something like this instead of a robot arm.

https://www.caterkwik.co.uk/cgi-bin/...prod_HATCOTM5H

You could have it running over an open flame / other heat source and removeable trays that can go through the dishwasher.

Comment

Working...
                    X