• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. DCXVII

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Bench vol. DCXVII

Covid booster last week, flu jab this afternoon. While I get treated like a human pincushion, you get to read this lot instead
    • The 15 Year Layover - The original article on which the film The Terminal (2004) was based: ”He is a man without a country, a family and a home. For more than a decade, Merhan Nasseri has been living in terminal one at Charles de Gaulle airport, waiting. For what, he doesn't know anymore.”
    • This Simple Experiment Could Challenge Standard Quantum Theory - ”A deceptively simple experiment that involves making precise measurements of the time it takes for a particle to go from point A to point B could spark a breakthrough in quantum physics. The findings could focus attention on an alternative to standard quantum theory called Bohmian mechanics, which posits an underworld of unseen waves that guide particles from place to place.” Any chance they could find an alternative that isn't as utterly weird? No? Oh.
    • School’s out… - ”The literature on not attending school is full of negative outcomes; Jason Schoeneberger’s 2012 review suggests that dropping out of school is associated with incarceration, unemployment, lower lifetime earnings, even premature death. The UK government is unequivocal on their website, stating ‘Going to school regularly is important for your child’s future’. Yet school is not the only way to get an education…” Interesting paper by a clinical psychologist on self-directed learning.
    • ‘I Don’t Know That I Would Even Call It Meth Anymore’ - ”Different chemically than it was a decade ago, the drug is creating a wave of severe mental illness and worsening America’s homelessness problem.” Heisenberg lives
    • Alexander Conca Machinist and Maintenance Shop - ”The Alexander Conca Machine Shop in Bristol, PA, was (perhaps not shockingly) owned by a man named Alexander Conca… There is little information to be found on him or his business. In 1966 his shop was listed as making and repairing machinery parts and employing two. His obituary lists that he lived in Bristol his whole life, that he will be missed by his surviving family members, and that he passed away in January of 2014. I was able to photograph the shop a little over six months later, shortly before the machinery was cleared out and either sold or scrapped.” A proper old-school workshop
    • My Father, the Hitman - ”Doc Dolan was connected to the JFK assassination and some of Benny Binion’s bloodier work. When I was a kid, he pulled a con on me that I’m still struggling to understand.” James Dolan on his decades-long search for an understanding of his father.
    • Abuse, exploitation, and a mummified leader: Inside the bizarre cult Love Has Won - ”At nearly midnight on April 28, Cpl. Steven Hansen executed a search warrant on a house in Moffat, Colorado… When Hansen arrived, he found the mummified remains of a woman. The police report said she was wrapped in a string of Christmas lights, and that glitter was smeared around her eye sockets. Her eyes seemed to be missing. A shrine was set up around the corpse.” There's some strange people out there
    • Neuron Bursts Can Mimic Famous AI Learning Strategy - ”A new model of learning centers on bursts of neural activity that act as teaching signals — approximating backpropagation, the algorithm behind learning in AI.” Maybe this will help AI work out what traffic lights look like for itself rather than expecting me to do all the work
    • If you ever wanted to help find new planets, now’s your chance - ”If you've ever wanted to search for distant worlds, your time has come. The team behind a planet-hunting telescope array called the Next-Generation Transit Survey (NGTS) is looking for help with the large volume of data the instrument has produced. The NGTS scans large areas of the sky with a collection of small, robotic telescopes to detect dips in stars' light that are caused by a planet passing between the stars and Earth.” You can sign up here: Planet Hunters NGTS — Zooniverse
    • Необычные посты ДПС, где больше никто не получит взятку (15 фото) - Or, Unusual traffic police posts where no one else will receive a bribe - ”Stationary traffic police posts are being eliminated in Russia. According to employees of the Ministry of Internal Affairs, the effectiveness of such points is minimal, but the formation of criminal groups in uniform is a frequent occurrence. Let's take a look at the places where we were stopped, and we will be glad that they will no longer take a bribe at these points!”

Happy invoicing!

Stone me, that machine shop thing is a bit of a preview.

Here's the poor old sod's obit:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/na...?pid=169390895

I suppose my collection of electronic junk won't make as much as his remarkable collection of ironmongery.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
    X