• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Another Tory MP with...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Tory MP with...

eye sight issues.

Only unlike the former dimwit education secretary he's alleged to have said they look the same and then apologises saying they look "very alike".

Apparently one of them is a close friend....

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/12/tory-...hawi-15406129/

A Tory MP has been forced to deny being a racist after reportedly saying two Asian ministers ‘look the same to me’.

James Gray reportedly made the remark when he introduced Nadhim Zahawi at an event and mistakenly referred to him as the health secretary, a position held by Sajid Javid.

The comment came after his mistake was pointed out to him in front of 50 invited guests, including opposition leader Keir Starmer.

One eye witness told MailOnline Mr Zahawi immediately had a ‘private conversation’ with the 66-year-old North Wiltshire MP after they came off stage.

The incident reportedly happened at a reception on September 8 but has only recently come to light.

Mr Gray was hosting the event in his capacity as a commander of the St John Ambulance.

The volunteer services has asked him to step down from his roles with the organisation, telling the paper that charity bosses spoke to the MP about the comment following the event.

Both Mr Zahawi, who was the vaccines minister at the time, and Mr Javid have Asian heritage.

Mr Zahawi’s parents fled Saddam Hussein’s Iraq when he was nine-years-old and settled in the UK.

Alongside Mr Javid, who was born in Lancashire to Pakistani immigrant parents, he has risen to become one of Boris Johnson’s most trusted ministers.

The Conservative party has moved to distance itself from its own member of parliament. A spokesperson told the website: ‘These comments were misjudged. We do not tolerate racism or discrimination of any kind.’

Former chief prosecutor Nazir Afzal described the remarks as racist, comparing the incident to then-education secretary mixing up footballer Marcus Rashford and rugby player Maro Itoje last month.

The former CPS boss tweeted: ‘First you had Williamson mistaking 1 Black sportsman for another.
    ‘Now you have James Gray MP saying he can’t tell two of his own ministers apart because Asians “all look the same”

‘Strange that, he looks just like a racist to me.’

Mr Gray denied being racist to MailOnline and disputed the exact words he reportedly used, but admitted he had confused them and commented that they look alike.

He denied saying ‘they all look the same to me’ and gave his own version of events to the Mail: ‘The notion that this is some sort of racist remark is ridiculous. They are two very good friends of mine.

‘I said ‘I am sorry to confuse the two of you. You two look very alike’.

‘I said ‘I am sorry if I got you too mixed up’. The idea that this is racist is completely untrue.

‘Nadhim did not speak to me about it afterwards, he spoke to a lot of people.

‘They are very close friends of me, both men.’

It’s not the first time Mr Gray, who was first elected in 1997, has drawn criticism for his remarks.

Last month he apologised after ‘joking’ about a bomb being delivered to Labour chairwoman Annaleise Dodds’ office in a private WhatsApp group with other Tory MPs.

In 2005, he had to resign as shadow Scotland secretary after just a few days when he told reporters he thought devolution should be rolled back.

He drew further criticism in 2010 for telling a Glasgow MP to ‘get back to jockland’ – despite originally being from Scotland himself.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

You're doing well when do you don't know what the cabinet ministers look like. One has a beard too... I could see you getting two back-benchers mixed up because who knows who any of them are.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	article-2139634-12EC611B000005DC-602_634x323.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	4187287

Name:	article-2139634-12EC60DB000005DC-142_634x369.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	4187288

Name:	article-2139634-12EC60EB000005DC-690_634x325.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	4187289
      First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Name:	article-2139634-12EC611B000005DC-602_634x323.jpg
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	4187287

Name:	article-2139634-12EC60DB000005DC-142_634x369.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	4187288

Name:	article-2139634-12EC60EB000005DC-690_634x325.jpg
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	4187289
        The good looking ones are the orangutans.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

That reminds me of this old one Bush vs Chimp: Click image for larger version

Name:	bushvschimp.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	4187297

Comment

Getting people mixed up is something that happens to me quite often, more so since WFH all time, so can sympathise a bit (beards, glasses, other features don't necessarily help me remember what someone looks like).

It depends on whether he got mixed up because he thinks all [insert characteristic of choice here] look alike, and can't be bothered to make more of an effort. If he's just a bit crap then it's unfortunate but not unusual.

However, looking at some of the other stuff he's spouted, I suspect he's of the can't be bothered camp.

Comment

Thing is, Own Race Bias (ORB) in facial recognition is a a scientific fact:

Frontiers | The Own-Race Bias for Face Recognition in a Multiracial Society | Psychology (frontiersin.org)

In summary, this cross-racial study demonstrates that ORB in face recognition remains evident not only in Western–Caucasian participants, but also in Malaysian individuals who live in a highly multiracial population. It appears that Malaysians’ substantial everyday exposure to different races does not necessarily help in developing a broadly tuned representation that accommodates multiple other-race faces. The results converge with existing literature to suggest that there is relatively little plasticity in face recognition in adulthood (e.g. Singh et al., 2017; Tree et al., 2017). Given the existing evidence that Malaysians interact with other races less when they are children (Kawangit et al., 2012; Su et al., 2018), the robustness of ORB in the multiracial population implies a relative lack of perceptual experience with other-race faces during childhood (de Heering et al., 2010; Su et al., 2018; Mckone et al., 2019; see also Sangrigoli et al., 2005). Additionally, the magnitude of ORB was modulated by the presence/absence of external features, such that other-race faces without external features were recognized poorly. This finding not only highlighted the significant methodological implications for ORB research, but also shed further light on the face representations and mechanisms that govern own- versus other-race face recognition. People encode and/or retrieve own- and other-race faces from memory in qualitatively different ways, with internal features of own-race faces being processed more effectively, whereas external features dominate representations of other-race faces.

However, once realised, a quick and sensitive apology should follow and be accepted.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Too many big words but from the title I'm assuming it says that as someone growing up in a very non-varied racial population, it's normal I find it harder to distinguish people of a different race. Which would appear to be somewhat common sense, in the same way that a farmer can tell all his sheep apart at 20m or a parent can identify their identical twins, whereas I would say "they all look the same" in both cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
                  That reminds me of this old one Bush vs Chimp: Click image for larger version

Name:	bushvschimp.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	4187297
                  Very comical.

I posted some chimps like this onto Facebook once - hilarity ensued. Then I posted the same chimps but with Obama instead of Bush. All hell broke loose lol..

Comment

Need to use a different animal. Giraffes maybe?

Comment

Working...
                    X