• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractor burnout and taking time off

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contractor burnout and taking time off

I've been contracting for 11 years now and have a growing Plan B which is providing a bit of extra income. For the first time in 11 years I'm seriously contemplating turning down an extension to take a month or two off and relax as well as give some extra time to Plan B. I've managed to stay outside IR35 so far this year and there are some gigs coming out in my area that are still outside, but I do worry slightly that the next gig will be tougher to land outside.

Just wondering if anybody else has come to this cross roads and taken a chunk of time out to reassess things, free up some thinking space and how it worked out? I think I've taken on a bit too much over the last 4 years and perhaps it's starting to take it's toll on me a bit.
    Last edited by NorthWestPerm2Contr; 12 October 2021, 09:14.

As tarbie would say, long time deed.

Comment

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
      I've been contracting for 11 years now and have a growing Plan B which is providing a bit of extra income. For the first time in 11 years I'm seriously contemplating turning down an extension to take a month or two away off and relax as well as give some extra time to Plan B. I've managed to stay outside IR35 so far this year and there are some gigs coming out in my area that are still outside, but I do worry slightly that the next gig will be tougher to land outside.

Just wondering if anybody else has come to this cross roads and taken a chunk of time out to reassess things, free up some thinking space and how it worked out? I think I've taken on a bit too much over the last 4 years and perhaps it's starting to take it's toll on me a bit.
      Get in your car, drive up into the mountains and forget about money for a while. No point being the richest man in the graveyard.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Get in your car, drive up into the mountains and forget about money for a while. No point being the richest man in the graveyard.
        Very true although I'm hardly rich given the size of my mortgage and school fees to pay! However, I think you are right and I need to take a longer term view on things.

Comment

If the gig extension is mainly work from home. I would extend.

It is much easier to relax when working from home. eg take 2 hours lunch between 12 and 2pm. Like i do. Leave the house, go to the gym or park or pub!

Harder for the client to over work you.

Learn to work at a slower pace instead.
          Last edited by Fraidycat; 12 October 2021, 09:27.

Comment

Taking time out is always a good thing IMO. How long you need is something only you can decide on. If you plan for, say, two months but are climbing the walls after three weeks then don't force yourself to stay off work as that could be just as stressful!

The worry about the next gig is never going to go away. You may have to be a bit more flexible about what work you take on perhaps but that's no different a situation than if your current gig was coming to its natural end. It's well worth mentioning to your current client that the reason for not extending is because you need a decent break and, you never know, they might say "give us a call when you're ready to come back".

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              If the gig extension is mainly work from home. I would extend.

It is much easier to relax when working from home. eg take 2 hours lunch between 12 and 2pm. Like i do. Leave the house, go to the gym or park or pub!

Harder for the client to over work you.

Learn to work at a slower pace instead.
              I think one of the reasons I'm burnout is because I've been WFH for almost 2 years......

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Taking time out is always a good thing IMO. How long you need is something only you can decide on. If you plan for, say, two months but are climbing the walls after three weeks then don't force yourself to stay off work as that could be just as stressful!

The worry about the next gig is never going to go away. You may have to be a bit more flexible about what work you take on perhaps but that's no different a situation than if your current gig was coming to its natural end. It's well worth mentioning to your current client that the reason for not extending is because you need a decent break and, you never know, they might say "give us a call when you're ready to come back".
                good shout.

Comment

Why do you never post in the professional parts of the forum where you don't open yourself to abuse and where other people can read the posts and take something from it?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Why do you never post in the professional parts of the forum where you don't open yourself to abuse and where other people can read the posts and take something from it?
                    hint
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Working...
                    X