• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What kind of Tory are you?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What kind of Tory are you?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...servative-soul

Lidl Tories vs Waitrose Tories: which shop best represents the Conservative soul?

Name: Lidl Tories.

Appearance: Fickle and down-vested.

What do they want? Low taxes, cheap shiraz, free trade, competitively priced car mats.

When do they want it? While stocks last.

OK, so who are these people? They are loosely defined as folk who shop at Lidl, and also vote Tory.

Not really me, then. I only made that mistake once, at the last election. What were your reasons?

I just fancied a change and they had this big offer on Pringles. I see.

It turned out they weren’t even real Pringles. They were called “Stacking potato snacks”. Worst election night party ever. You live and learn.

Is this another attempt to identify a potentially up-for-grabs voting bloc as an intersection of consumer preference and political naivety? Yes. Do you remember Tony Blair’s Mondeo Man?

Vaguely. He owned a Mondeo, wanted to get on in life and was otherwise devoid of ideology. Whatever happened to him? They stopped making Mondeos. There was also Worcester Woman.

And she just wanted to get on in life, while indulging in a passion for Worcestershire sauce? No, she was from Worcester.

Bit specific, isn’t it? Still, I guess you can really focus your leaflets. The locality is meant to stand in for a whole demographic – think of political coinages such as Essex Man or Holby City Woman.

But Holby City isn’t a real place. Don’t think too hard about it – doesn’t help.

Who came up with Lidl Tories? Liz Truss.

Cheese Woman? Yes, although she is now also the foreign secretary. “I consider myself a Lidl Tory who shops regularly there,” Truss told a fringe meeting at the Conservative party conference recently.

Not much of a stance, is it? Ah, but it is. Truss represents a wing of the party that wants to sell free trade and low prices to voters, as opposed to Waitrose Tories, who want protections for British farmers.

And cavolo nero. Ideally both, yes.

So Tories who shop at Lidl are deliberately championing free markets? No, they are there for the £14.99 leaf blowers – while stocks last – but might be persuaded to connect one with the other.

I could use a suspiciously inexpensive leaf blower. Too late.

Do say: “I’m not political – I just go to whichever supermarket still has food on the shelves.”
    Don’t say: “She wanted to get on in life and she really liked cheese.”

These all sound like fine distinctions between Metro Tories - Shire Tories, for want of a better name, probably couldn't care less about Lidl v Waitrose and just shop in the nearest supermarket, whether it is Lidl, Morrisons, Tescos, or whatever. And they'll have never heard of cavolo nero, whatever that is
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

I've still not really figured out where I sit but my parents certainly epitomised the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" Tory ideals of people like Maggie. Poor beginnings, thrifty, worked hard to a pretty wealthy position but remained thrifty. They definitely loved Lidl when it first turned up. To be honest I quite like it too, it's just more interesting than Tesco.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

i'm more a noncontribuTory

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          I've still not really figured out where I sit but my parents certainly epitomised the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" Tory ideals of people like Maggie.
          They may have been born poor but they probably had parents who cared.

What chance to kids born to parents with (say) substance abuse or other crippling problems have?

Sure some of them make it but it is a myth that anyone can succeed through hard work alone. The hardest working people I have met typically perform the loudest/dirtiest/most tedious poorly paid work.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
            And they'll have never heard of cavolo nero, whatever that is
            Cavolo nero is a very dark green, leafy vegetable of the cabbage family. Quite bitter, compared to spring greens, with tougher leaves. Kale on steriods, you could say.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

They may have been born poor but they probably had parents who cared.

What chance to kids born to parents with (say) substance abuse or other crippling problems have?
              Little chance regardless of political ideology. Not sure what your point is, I am just answering the question not seeking to defend my parents; value system.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                Little chance regardless of political ideology. Not sure what your point is, I am just answering the question not seeking to defend my parents; value system.
                Not a pop at you, a pop at the myth that hard work is what separates the haves from the have nots.

Comment

Originally posted by TheDude View Post

Not a pop at you, a pop at the myth that hard work is what separates the haves from the have nots.
                  It might not be the only factor, but barring being born into wealth, you don't get to be a 'have' without hard work on top. Circumstances beyond your control might decide whether you are in that position in the first place, but you still have to work.

The idea "everyone is where they are because they chose to be" or "poor people are poor because they don't want to work hard" IS a pretty big oversimplification.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Cavolo nero is a very dark green, leafy vegetable of the cabbage family. Quite bitter, compared to spring greens, with tougher leaves. Kale on steriods, you could say.
                    Hmm, that sounds quite interesting. Must look out for it.

I assumed is was some fancy coffee, like those beans extracted from civet cat droppings!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X