• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chinese manipulating the gas price?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chinese manipulating the gas price?

All this hoo-hah seemed to start around the time the AUKUS submarine deal was announced.

I wondered if the Chinese could have started buying up gas and other commodities to drive up prices as a form of retaliation (doubtless being aware of the UK's pitifully stupid and shortsighted lack of gas storage facilities)

What do the congregation think? What are the original causes of this situation with the shortages of gas, petrol, CO2, etc? And please, there's no need for tedious Remainers to mention you know what.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    All this hoo-hah seemed to start around the time the AUKUS submarine deal was announced.

I wondered if the Chinese could have started buying up gas and other commodities to drive up prices as a form of retaliation (doubtless being aware of the UK's pitifully stupid and shortsighted lack of gas storage facilities)

What do the congregation think? What are the original causes of this situation with the shortages of gas, petrol, CO2, etc? And please, there's no need for tedious Remainers to mention you know what.
    You need to look at which are global shortages (gas), which are local shortages due to production (CO2) and which are delivery shortages (petrol). Lumping all three together, then the answer is no, China is not responsible for your Morrisons running out of petrol.

Global gas shortage: demand is outstripping supply, prices have been rising for several months. The impact is global, but smaller countries with less storage capacity are suffering the impact more.
    UK CO2 shortage: It's been talked about for some time - at least since the last shortage in 2018. UK CO2 production is mainly from 2 fertiliser plants which are US owned. When staffing costs rose and gas prices started to rise, the plants were closed to move production to cheaper countries.
    UK petrol shortages: There's plenty of petrol at the refineries and in storage, but a spike in customer demand brought on by Telegraph/Sun/Mail/Express stories last week mean that JIT has become JTL. It shows the weakness of the UK supply chain that any slight spike can cripple it.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

^ yeah, that's about right

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Ignoring facts for a moment, but logic says unlikely. Before this deal the Aussies were dealing with the French, so had China been really p*ssed off they presumably would have done something at that point. Russia controls a vast amount of gas supply into Europe .... it's our mate Putin that isn't helping with all this not China.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Working...
        X