• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BP - We Have To Close Petrol Stations...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

You are right. It was 2000.
    Around by us the Morrison's adjoining the B&M / Starbucks DTR . All packed and the tankers are waiting up the road to get in . Crazy!

Comment

The Tesco filling station near me is turning cars away. Only letting in a select few cars in. Couldn't make out what the criteria was though.

Comment

The easy answer for all this nonsense would have been to increase wages.

And the people in charge at the companies knew it all along, it's not rocket science. They probably knew it 6 months before it happened.

But they chose to do nothing, and that is not because they are not financially affected. They are. But they will be even greatly affected if they increase wages long term and renegotiating terms for low skills jobs becomes a thing.

This whole debacle is the private sector having a stand-off with free market conditions. Waiting for issues to become acute so that gov intervene, takes people off benefits, allows loser immigration laws (probably the last part).

It's quite simple, you just have to look and THINK.

They also offer high rates for agency workers, perm workers get the fist in the mouth. Because agency workers you can fire but for permi terms it's difficult to push them back to different levels.

Comment

I really hope the petrol stations have hiked up their prices for the selfish idiots queuing up to fill up an already half-filled tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
            I really hope the petrol stations have hiked up their prices for the selfish idiots queuing up to fill up an already half-filled tank.
            That's what the leading class wants as well, to frown upon your class, ridicule them and look down upon them.
            They are doing what they mind is telling them to do, the same mechanisms that also benefit the ruling class in other circumstances.

We win this united by accepting each other and working alongside not by shallow narratives.

Divide and conquer is always the best methodology. The fault is not there, those are only the symptoms. The fault is a corrupt rulling class, a political system that no longer works for the average Joe. Crony capitalism and a few other words.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
              More paranoid drivel
              Ae you saying those that headed out first thing today to fill up an already adequately filled tank are not selfish?

Comment

Ae you saying those that headed out first thing today to fill up an already adequately filled tank are not selfish?
                I don't own a car anymore. For a few weeks only actually.

English people were know for their pragmatic down to earth approach to life. I don't think you are not one of those anyway.

Have a deeper think, if it was actually a free market and they would have increased rates to 800£ a day, let's go crazy. They'll put it in prices and we foot the bill, another 5p per product. Market will find workers, bank directors will take sabbaticals and drive a truck.

But it's not going that way, because it's not a free market.

Comment

I don't own a car anymore. For a few weeks only actually.

English people were know for their pragmatic down to earth approach to life. I don't think you are not one of those anyway.

Have a deeper think, if it was actually a free market and they would have increased rates to 800£ a day, let's go crazy. They'll put it in prices and we foot the bill, another 5p per product. Market will find workers, bank directors will take sabbaticals and drive a truck.

But it's not going that way, because it's not a free market.
                  and yet more paranoid drivel.
                  can't you take the hint?

JFO!!

Comment

I've just filled up my car, which was just under 1/4 full, because we have a long drive planned on Sunday.
                    The problem with this "crisis" is that, although it is an entirely manufactured one, enough people are now bringing forward their petrol purchases that it will likely become a real shortage, at least for a few days. The supply chain isn't geared to amount of petrol sales that have been happening today, so garages are going to run out, will will exacerbate the panic, leading to more selling out etc. until it all settles down in about a week. So I took the executive decision to panic early(ish), and in fact only had to queue for about 10 minutes.

Comment

This whole debacle is the private sector having a stand-off with free market conditions. Waiting for issues to become acute so that gov intervene, takes people off benefits, allows loser immigration laws (probably the last part).
                      That's exactly what it is, and the government are about to blink first and loosen immigration. "Occupations in demand" has always and will always be about not enough workers at the price that employers want to pay, nothing else. We had a vote about this five years ago.

Comment

Working...
                      X