• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Energy Crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No humblebrags lamenting ownership of band H properties yet ?
    Last edited by TheDude; 3 February 2022, 12:44.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
      Forget about Partygate. Cost of living is about to engulf the Tories and feck them good.
      Which is why no-one wants to be leader yet.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I don't know about skiwear, but thermal underwear has gone out of fashion since central heating became standard and is a cheap, very effective way to stay warm. You can get it cheap places like Mountain Warehouse and I genuinely think it's something that might be worth recommending or gifting to people who are going to struggle.

For cheap thermals - Lidl Crivit are good.
        The best (IMHO) are Merino wool

If you've got a Decathlon near you, they are worth checking out: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c...rs/_/N-1r62f6w
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Why do you think rich people in band H deserve any help? How can you possibly justify government giving you money just so you don't have to cut back from champagne to prosecco?

I am in a solid-brick detached house in band G/H (forget) FYI so it's not like I'm unaffected by this. I doubt many here have bigger energy bills than I do. But I still think government efforts should be on those who are hardest hit.
          Sheesh. Do we need sarcasm markup?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yup....

But that election is looming and this could last for quite a while.

When the BoE acts too late and then responds aggressively, there is rarely a "soft landing".

Comment

Message from the BoE today: brace for the biggest annual fall in living standards since comparable records began 30 years ago. Yikes.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Sheesh. Do we need sarcasm markup?
                Ah, the Trump defense. Say something moronic then claim it was 'a joke'. Maybe you should work harder on your prose.

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

For cheap thermals - Lidl Crivit are good.
                The best (IMHO) are Merino wool

If you've got a Decathlon near you, they are worth checking out: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c...rs/_/N-1r62f6w
                Oh yeah Lidl are a great shout, though the good stuff goes in minutes. We have queued for opening time when they get kids waterproofs in 2-3 times a year.

Merino is pricey though and hand-wash? I might suggest our church starts an "underwear drive" because we live in a deprived area. I hadn't considered it but the wife pointed out if you're on benefits, a council tax rebate is (we think) meaningless because you don't pay it anyway.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ah, the Trump defense. Say something moronic then claim it was 'a joke'. Maybe you should work harder on your prose.
                  Ah, the cretin defense. Perhaps you should work harder on your reading comprehension.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Yep, Boris will continue being a convenient idiot for the Tories for a while yet.

Comment

Oh yeah Lidl are a great shout, though the good stuff goes in minutes.
                      Some of the thermals are advertised as "Motorbike thermals" - and they normally get left for a few days. The difference between then and "normal" thermals is that they have 3/4 length legs that stop where a motorbike boot would start, and they allegedly have more flexible pieces.

Merino is pricey though and hand-wash?
                      Pricey and hand wash, yes. There are lots of alternates in between.

I might suggest our church starts an "underwear drive" because we live in a deprived area.
                      Practical Christianity gets a big thumbs up from me.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X