• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Health and social care tax

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PFI

For the people who are not aware, PFIs were Labour ionitiatives that had Trusts put themselves in debt for decades.

You can and should blame the Tories for their part of it, but let's not forget how much of each Trust's income goes on PFIs.

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post
      PFI

For the people who are not aware, PFIs were Labour ionitiatives that had Trusts put themselves in debt for decades.

You can and should blame the Tories for their part of it, but let's not forget how much of each Trust's income goes on PFIs.
      I guess you're not aware. While Labour used PFIs heavily, they were not a Labour initiative.
      They were introduced in 1992.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Multiple PPE contracts were given to new companies with no experience, without going to tender.
        There wasn't time, most PPE was made abroad (cheap) but that supply dwindled, they had to do something and fast. The same principle was applied to vaccine sourcing and that worked, you can't have cake and eat it.

My serious beef is from last Sep. when they knew what they were dealing with, late into lock down 2 and the Xmas 'break' cost 1000s of lives. Loads of people round here had people overnight at Xmas and then caught Covid.
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

I guess you're not aware. While Labour used PFIs heavily, they were not a Labour initiative.
          Same as the fact RTB was a Labour initiative but Tories (Thatcher) were the ones who ran with it.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The vast majority of them were passed under Labour.
            To the tune of something like 300 billion , out of which 200 were in the NHS in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              They have already had a lot of it but the NHS swallowed it and demanded more.

https://fullfact.org/health/nhs-engl...-million-more/

The issue here is that the NHS should reform as Nick Ferrari suggested we should get decent NHS management not more cash.
              Any idea how to reform the worlds 5th largest employer which isn't even a single entity, where a failed project not only makes headline news, but risks and issues have to be measured in real human lives.

I primarily work in Healthcare now and I can tell you it's not easy, and its not for the want of trying.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

According to online calculators:

Inside contractor, 200K a year was taking home around 104K, now going to be taking home around 100K (effective tax rate 50%)

Inside contractor, 150K a year was taking home 81K, now going to be taking home around 78K (effective tax rate 48%)

Inside contractor, 100K a year was taking home 60K, now going to be taking home around 58K (effective tax rate 42%)

Online calculators don't take into account employers NI. I'm sure I'm not alone with an off-shore agency and an off-shore client, so I pay my own 'ers NI as well as 'ees.

I'm already paying an absolute bloody fortune in NI, and yet the members of my family who might benefit through getting a decent pension increase or a hip-replacement are getting neither, since the NHS seems to be essentially shut right now.

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

The vast majority of them were passed under Labour.
                  To the tune of something like 300 billion , out of which 200 were in the NHS in 2010.
                  "Something like". First you claim PFI was a Labour initiative, then refusing to admit you are wrong, you change it to be "oh but they used it".

Last year the government signed a deal for £37 billion for 2 years of Test & Trace, which has been an abject failure for everyone except the private companies who run it.
                  You going to blame Michael Foot for that?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

"Something like". First you claim PFI was a Labour initiative, then refusing to admit you are wrong, you change it to be "oh but they used it".

Last year the government signed a deal for £37 billion for 2 years of Test & Trace, which has been an abject failure for everyone except the private companies who run it.
                    You going to blame Michael Foot for that?
                    Surely everything is Thatcher's fault?
                    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post

Any idea how to reform the worlds 5th largest employer which isn't even a single entity, where a failed project not only makes headline news, but risks and issues have to be measured in real human lives.

I primarily work in Healthcare now and I can tell you it's not easy, and its not for the want of trying.
                      I remember years ago Digby Jones went in to sort out a surgical unit. He discovered the manager couldn't manage the consultants...
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X