• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Lockdown vol. DCVI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monday Links from the Lockdown vol. DCVI

Late today as it's been a very hectic one at ClientGov. I suppose they should get something for your money once in a while
    • Eric Rudolph Slept Here - ”The most wanted man in America survived five years in the North Carolina woods, eating salamanders, sleeping on the cold ground, and stalking deer. Or so he says. Spend a night in his secret mountain hideaway and you get the feeling there's more to this story.” A strange tale of an American domestic terrorist.
    • A Failed Star Called 'The Accident' Puzzles Astronomers - ”The brown dwarf isn't a star and it's not a planet. But it's illuminating the murky borderlands that separate the two.”
    • This Ancient Tablet Secretly Held The Oldest Evidence Of Applied Geometry In The World - ”Once upon a time, in a kingdom far, far away, a wealthy landowner decided to sell part of their field. Specifically, it was about 4,000 years ago, in what is now central Iraq – and that land transaction would eventually lead to a complete upending of how we understand the history of mathematics.” So if you hated geometry at school, you can blame estate agents for it
    • Why Does The Sunlight Come From The North In Shaded Relief Maps? - HT to DaveB for this interesting article about something which I must admit I'd never noticed: ”If you've got a sharp eye and a knack for details, you might have noticed the sun coming from an unrealistic angle in most shaded relief maps: the north. But in the northern hemisphere, sunlight mostly comes from the southern half of the sky, so what gives?”
    • Song a Day World - ”Hi! I'm Jonathan Mann. I've been writing a song a day for 12 years and 224 days. That's 4604 songs.” And here they all are
    • Giraffes May Be as Socially Complex as Chimps and Elephants - ”A review of earlier research shows giraffes have the markings of social creatures, including friendships, day care and grandmothers.” We'd never realised before because it was over our heads
    • Typos, tricks and misprints - ”English spelling is ridiculous. Sew and new don’t rhyme. Kernel and colonel do. When you see an ough, you might need to read it out as ‘aw’ (thought), ‘ow’ (drought), ‘uff’ (tough), ‘off’ (cough), ‘oo’ (through), or ‘oh’ (though)… The English spelling system, if you can even call it a system, is full of this kind of thing.” Linguist Arika Okrent explains how we ended up in this mess
    • How yellowcake shaped the West - ”The ghosts of the uranium boom continue to haunt the land, water and people.”
    • “This Is Going to Change the World” - ”As the new millennium dawned, a mysterious invention from a charismatic millionaire became a viral sensation—then went down in flames. Ever since, I’ve wondered: Was it all my fault?” Dan Kois on the story of the Segway, and his own part in its rise and fall.
    • When Water Rises: A Journey Through Turkey’s Drowning Landscape - ”Turkish Magnum photographer Emin Özmen travels through South East Anatolia, glimpsing the remains of villages submerged by the region's monumental GAP dam programme, and visiting those next on the list for eviction for the last time.” This is what remains of the village of Savacan.

Happy invoicing!

Technically we're not in lockdown any more (I'm only three weeks late in noticing...)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Technically we're not in lockdown any more (I'm only three weeks late in noticing...)
      Here in Leicester, we've forgotten what it's like not to be in lockdown

Anyway, as I'm currently WFH I might as well be in lockdown - I'm not going outside any more than I was this time last year

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        • Typos, tricks and misprints - ”English spelling is ridiculous. Sew and new don’t rhyme. Kernel and colonel do. When you see an ough, you might need to read it out as ‘aw’ (thought), ‘ow’ (drought), ‘uff’ (tough), ‘off’ (cough), ‘oo’ (through), or ‘oh’ (though)… The English spelling system, if you can even call it a system, is full of this kind of thing.” Linguist Arika Okrent explains how we ended up in this mess

I thought this was familiar. She was on R4's Word of Mouth recently: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000xs03

Comment

On from the yellowcake thing there's a thing about the unfortunate Navajo who live in that part of the world, with their kids swimming in the runoff from the mine workings, and playing in the heaps of tailings.

Loved the comment in the Rudolph thing about the Hillbilly who is 52 but looks not a day over 90.

It's a different world up there. Yeeehaw.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
          X