• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Non Chronological CV’s

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

It was the same old even in Plato's time. People are 'slaves to the pleasure of the ear' and more now with social media.

Although some people are a bit too honest, in one of the interviews I did aeons ago, they asked what I considered my weakness and how I addressed it. I came up with some bull about documentation. They accepted this (well I got the gig) and said the previous candidate had replied that "when things get hard I tend to give up" !
    "What's your biggest weakness"
    "I'm too honest"
    "I don't think that's really a weakness"
    "I don't give a **** what you think"

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

It was the same old even in Plato's time. People are 'slaves to the pleasure of the ear' and more now with social media.

Although some people are a bit too honest, in one of the interviews I did aeons ago, they asked what I considered my weakness and how I addressed it. I came up with some bull about documentation. They accepted this (well I got the gig) and said the previous candidate had replied that "when things get hard I tend to give up" !
      I remember I was sitting in helping an interview and one particularly nervous guy came in. He was struggling a bit with the interview process and the lady interviewing asked something along the lines of 'What are your weakness or what do you struggle with'. In his defense it could seem like a wooly question in a tough interview but he said 'Dealing with large complex organisations' and went on about not being able to get what he needs to deliver. Sadly one of the key rquirements of the role on the spec was the ability to negotiatie large complex organisations. Ooops In his defense I think he was trying to be smart to describe challenges and popped it in the weakness section.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

Yeah totally get that and makes sense. When you are one in a sea of candidates all with similar(ish) experience then the CV is still a pretty good doc for clients and agents to deal with. It would certainly be better for the clients (and me if I'm blowing my own trumpet) if they requested case studies and had a presentation for each candidate to pick the best one like they do for proper suppliers. It would stop people who interview well but are utter crap arriving on site. I'm sure we've all seen tons of them. But sadly they don't.
        Nah you'll still get a load of cretins applying. They'll get someone to write the case study presentation in exactly the same way as they get their CVs written for them and they'll learn it plus some buzzwords and blag the interview.

I have tried, several times, to get the gigs on my CV into that STAR (situation, task, activity, result) format but feedback was a bit meh. I might give it another go next time I'm bored enough. It's the making it match LI that gets tedious. Spot a typo on one, update the other, reword one, update the other, rinse, repeat.

Comment

Working...
        X