• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • FREE workshop: Preparing contractors for Autumn : Weds 29th Sep at 7.15pm. More details here.

Apprenticeships

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #11
    Originally posted by AtW View Post

    Well if you kill manufacturing in favour of bankers in the City and large service industry (hospitality) for mass jobs, then what do you expect will happen?

    I thought a graduate who earned over a certain threshold , only has to pay the degree back as long as they were over the salary they earned???

    Comment


      #12
      Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      It's a shame as apprenticeships used to be quite well respected.
      Some still are, it depends on the company you work for, thier reputation, but ultimately it's down to the apprentice and thier outlook in achieving it. I spent 5 years undertaking an electrician apprenticeship , well worth the wait .

      Comment


        #13
        As my mate the plumber told me 40 years ago even the queen needs a plumber, he had the first mobile phone I ever saw, a huge Mercedes van and a house twice the size of the rest of us. plumbing has always been good money.

        Lot less risk than being a doctor!
        "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

        I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

        Comment


          #14
          Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          That's a rather extreme example. I'm sure you can find someone who left school with crap GCSE's and is earning that. Does that mean we don't go to further education?

          I think you are being a tad unfair on apprenticeships. My lad is on a civil engineering degree apprenticeship and there were quite a few on offer when he was a looking. His mates who didn't want to got to uni are on them as well so no one that wanted one didn't get one that I am aware of.

          Problem is what apprenticeships are about. A handfull of degree ones, plenty of two year less skilled ones and then a derth of hairdressing, nail tech, nanny type ones. There is also the BTEC vocational training options but I don't know much about them. The DfE spend millions pushing apprecticeships and have the portal to find them all etc.

          Not sure why you think UK hasn't got apprenticeships going? Maybe it isn't to the standard of the swiss ones or are different to the other countries but they are there. Hey, it's far from perfect but they are hardly bad.
          It's a mixture of reasons and a few are as follows:

          The geographical location of the potential apprentice and where and what they want to do.

          Does the placement of the apprenticeship have enough resources to deliver the programme

          Quality of each candidate and thier attitude . Some drop out but also a potential employer / placement has had trouble with appreciates in the past and the has decided not to commit any further .

          Comment


            #15
            Originally posted by AtW View Post

            Well if you kill manufacturing in favour of bankers in the City and large service industry (hospitality) for mass jobs, then what do you expect will happen?
            The UK used to have lots of factories / mining / chemical works and this does have an effect on a number of things.

            Comment


              #16
              Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post

              The UK used to have lots of factories / mining / chemical works and this does have an effect on a number of things.
              To be fair most large companies moved manufacturing sites offshore for cheaper wages etc. The number of huge sites I have walked through that used to be manufacturing saw it sent to Africa/Mexico/China etc and got sold for housing.

              Short of throwing money at employers there wasn't much the government could do.
              "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

              I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

              Comment


                #17
                Originally posted by vetran View Post

                To be fair most large companies moved manufacturing sites offshore for cheaper wages etc. The number of huge sites I have walked through that used to be manufacturing saw it sent to Africa/Mexico/China etc and got sold for housing.

                Short of throwing money at employers there wasn't much the government could do.
                Yeah your spot on there !

                Comment


                  #18
                  Originally posted by AtW View Post

                  Well if you kill manufacturing in favour of bankers in the City and large service industry (hospitality) for mass jobs, then what do you expect will happen?
                  Sure, but you can't lump all service industry into one basket. There's multiple things going on at the same time and some of them are chicken/egg, but the loss of our manufacturing base, the lack of any long-term strategy or funding of vocational education, the transition of the old polytechnics (many quite good) to (crap) universities, the push by Blair and those that followed him to get a pointless fraction of kids into pointless academic degrees etc. There is no one thing.

                  Comment


                    #19
                    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

                    Sure, but you can't lump all service industry into one basket. There's multiple things going on at the same time and some of them are chicken/egg, but the loss of our manufacturing base, the lack of any long-term strategy or funding of vocational education, the transition of the old polytechnics (many quite good) to (crap) universities, the push by Blair and those that followed him to get a pointless fraction of kids into pointless academic degrees etc. There is no one thing.
                    Agreed, a lot of the HNC and HND programmes were watered down to get people to take on degrees . Noticed a lot of that in the early 2000's

                    Comment


                      #20
                      Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

                      Sure, but you can't lump all service industry into one basket. There's multiple things going on at the same time and some of them are chicken/egg, but the loss of our manufacturing base, the lack of any long-term strategy or funding of vocational education, the transition of the old polytechnics (many quite good) to (crap) universities, the push by Blair and those that followed him to get a pointless fraction of kids into pointless academic degrees etc. There is no one thing.
                      Blair wanted to get more young people to do higher and further education courses that were recognised.

                      Unfortunately it was translated by the media and the ministers that followed him that he wanted more young people doing degrees.

                      It didn't help his government made courses like nursing and social work degree level courses using the excuse other countries do the same. (Made it easier for nurses and social workers to emigrate though.)

                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X