• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take one of these 5 times a day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you seen what they give out at food banks you can understand why poorer people are fat in the UK.

In France they give poor people veg and fruit in their food boxes. Here they only give people tinned and processed stuff as it can be stored.

If you don't believe me have a look at the stuff your local food bank collects.

Most of the people using them now are the working poor.
    Unfortunately with the volume of clients storing fresh food is a challenge so most food banks offer 3 days emergency food to avoid starvation and assistance to solve the issue causing the poverty.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-he...d/food-parcel/

If you want fresh food there are soup kitchens (my old boss used to run one in Wealdstone) and most Sikh temples will feed all comers most days, it will be vegetarian though. Some other denomination churches/Temples/Mosques do similar.

The local group of churches do a messy church once a month for kids that feeds attendees and does basic craft with them. We tend to attend as our kids and their friends love the occasion we just put some folding money in the collection. They also do regular food drives and many of the ladies & clergy feed their poorer or tragedy struck neighbours.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

If you seen what they give out at food banks you can understand why poorer people are fat in the UK.

In France they give poor people veg and fruit in their food boxes. Here they only give people tinned and processed stuff as it can be stored.

If you don't believe me have a look at the stuff your local food bank collects.

Most of the people using them now are the working poor.
      Yeah when you put veg in a tin it magically becomes junk. You know, all those families who relied on canning and preserving their food to get through the winter months were living on unhealthy diets.
      Tosh. You don't get fat eating tinned spag bol or whatever, you get fat eating crisps and biscuits and fizzy drinks, and not moving off the sofa all day.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Yeah when you put veg in a tin it magically becomes junk. You know, all those families who relied on canning and preserving their food to get through the winter months were living on unhealthy diets.
        Tosh. You don't get fat eating tinned spag bol or whatever, you get fat eating crisps and biscuits and fizzy drinks, and not moving off the sofa all day.
        Good point some tinning preserves vegetable goodness better than old fresh.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...ore-nutritious

As D00hg says its a perfectly valid option.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

My local food banks ask for biscuits, custard, pasta sauces and pot noodles of the top of my head.

I know the reason they ask for them as not everyone has cooking facilities if they are staying in hotels, hostels and B&Bs.

Also a lot of the places that give out free cooked food aren't places you would want to take children. (I know there are some that are fine.)
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

My local food banks ask for biscuits, custard, pasta sauces and pot noodles of the top of my head.

I know the reason they ask for them as not everyone has cooking facilities if they are staying in hotels, hostels and B&Bs.

Also a lot of the places that give out free cooked food aren't places you would want to take children. (I know there are some that are fine.)
            Trussell trust do two types of food parcels

1. Conventional cook at home - with Pasta & flour.
            2. Street / B&B living - with Pot noodles and other instant meals many restaurants and offices will offer the homeless hot water if asked politely. This is for keeping people alive and working with them to get off the street.

Yep soup kitchens are scary, the temples and churches are quite safe I am told.

Comment

Working...
            X