• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Priti warning

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Priti warning

British citizens in EU are being denied work and healthcare after Brexit, Priti Patel warns

In an exclusive article for The Telegraph, the Home Secretary urges EU countries to treat UK citizens fairly

British citizens living in the EU after Brexit are being denied work and healthcare, Priti Patel has warned.

In an exclusive article for The Telegraph, published below, the Home Secretary urges EU nations to treat UK citizens as fairly as Britain was treating their citizens.

It coincides with the fifth anniversary of the Brexit referendum vote, as Boris Johnson marked the moment by declaring the recovery from the pandemic offered the chance to "seize the true potential of our regained sovereignty to unite and level up our whole United Kingdom".

The warning comes amid government concerns that Britons have been stopped at borders and faced hurdles to being granted residency in some EU states, which has led to complaints in joint committees on citizens rights after Brexit, according to the Home Office.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics...t-priti-patel/

I won't pay a subscription to the Torygraph but I presume there are now actual examples of countries breaking the agreement. Just hearsay and retaliation narrative...

What I think it is: Starting the narrative to start kicking out Europeans, not for long, just for them to lose employment rights and return via a shorter leash visa. Or to be replaced with more submissive ones that know their places from the peninsula.

It never changes...

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      I won't pay a subscription to the Torygraph but I presume there are now actual examples of countries breaking the agreement. Just hearsay and retaliation narrative...

What I think it is: Starting the narrative to start kicking out Europeans, not for long, just for them to lose employment rights and return via a shorter leash visa. Or to be replaced with more submissive ones that know their places from the peninsula.

It never changes...
      Install iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome: Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. (github.com) and you don't need to pay for a subscription.

Posted because if you are dumb enough to use Javascript for your firewall you deserve it being broken.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

It never changes...
        Read up on Windrush....

You've been warned.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Read up on Windrush....

You've been warned.
          Why do you think I am undergoing citizenship process atm? Passed the brainwashing 'Life in UK' test, forked out £150 for an english test because my C2 cambridge in advanced english is not recognised. Only Ielts. Now I have to fork-out another £1300 ( I think) with the hope they won't reject my application for some random reason...

EU Settlement scheme comes with a web portal so no physical ID card that you carry for it. It can disappear in any moment.
          Last edited by GigiBronz; 23 June 2021, 14:27.

Comment

Why do you think I am undergoing citizenship process atm? Passed the brainwashing 'Life in UK' test, forked out £150 for an english test because my C2 cambridge in advanced english is not recognised. Only Ielts. Now I have to fork-out another £1300 ( I think) with the hope they won't reject my application for some random reason...
            Surely you must think that's a price worth paying to be here, although you do come across like you think the UK is the worst place in the world to live so I do wonder why you're willing to pay it and jump through all the hoops.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Surely you must think that's a price worth paying to be here, although you do come across like you think the UK is the worst place in the world to live so I do wonder why you're willing to pay it and jump through all the hoops.
              Society yes is screwed, corporate world the same. But in terms of places, and here talking about London, is probably one of the best in Europe. I don't think I have anything in particular with UK but with the world. Maybe a few classes of citizens and politiciens. But it is definitely better than other places(that I am able to move atm).

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Install iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome: Bypass Paywalls web browser extension for Chrome and Firefox. (github.com) and you don't need to pay for a subscription.

Posted because if you are dumb enough to use Javascript for your firewall you deserve it being broken.
                I just have firefox with javascript disabled for that purpose.

Essentially, there's no equity between the way EU citizens are treated in the UK and how UK citizens have been treated in the EU - largely the timescales to apply for residency. If you miss the deadlines, then yes, you can't work and you will be denied access to regular (non-emergency) healthcare. As with EU citizens in the UK, anyone who misses the deadling really only has themselves to blame.

I have to carry my residency card around at all times - both inside and outside the country. Even in the UK I must have it if I want to fly to an EU/EEA/EFTA country. It's just life.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I have to carry my residency card around at all times - both inside and outside the country. Even in the UK I must have it if I want to fly to an EU/EEA/EFTA country. It's just life.
                  I have a friend, Romanian, who tried to fly to Romania with freshly minted UK blue passport and was asked for ID at the gate. Not quite sure if the personal was fully aware of the legislation. He could have been just traveled for touristic purposes which is allowed.

Comment

I have a friend, Romanian, who tried to fly to Romania with freshly minted UK blue passport and was asked for ID at the gate. Not quite sure if the personal was fully aware of the legislation. He could have been just traveled for touristic purposes which is allowed.
                    Oh dear. If a citizen of Country A travels to Country A, they should use their Country A passport to enter the country. Your "friend" (it's you, isnt' it) is an idiot.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X