• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

No TV please we are Francais

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No TV please we are Francais

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-shown-brexit

The EU is preparing to act against the “disproportionate” amount of British television and film content shown in Europe in the wake of Brexit, in a blow to the UK entertainment industry and the country’s “soft power” abroad.

The UK is Europe’s biggest producer of film and TV programming, buoyed up by £1.4bn from the sale of international rights, but its dominance has been described as a threat to Europe’s “cultural diversity” in an internal EU document seen by the Guardian.
    Countries such as France have gone further, setting a 60% quota for European works on VOD and demanding 15% of the turnover of the platforms is spent in production of European audiovisual and cinematographic works.
    Oh lots of detective series filmed in the dark with the actors chain smoking.

no mention of the US?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Conversely, the UK badly misses out on many excellent European TV programs and movies because the UK is dominated by TV and movies from the USA.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
      Conversely, the UK badly misses out on many excellent European TV programs and movies because the UK is dominated by TV and movies from the USA.
      Absolutely! Wallander and Montalbano, for example, are brilliant detective series and I'm sure there are many others we in the UK never get to see
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

When I read that article this morning, I couldn't help but wonder if the volume of UK produced TV on the continent was there because of demand? If so, demand from whom? I don't think the ex-pat community is so very influential as to be the sole source.

It would be interesting to see if the EU viewers of UK TV kick up a fuss when they can no longer access their favourite shows.

Comment

There's probly a fair few sat dishes pointed at the Sky constellation.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            When I read that article this morning, I couldn't help but wonder if the volume of UK produced TV on the continent was there because of demand? If so, demand from whom? I don't think the ex-pat community is so very influential as to be the sole source.

It would be interesting to see if the EU viewers of UK TV kick up a fuss when they can no longer access their favourite shows.
            When I worked abroad and even now working in an international team plenty of people from EU countries I spoke/speak to like various British TV programs. It is amusing to find out what programs are their current favourites e.g. Come Dine With Me, Alan Partridge stuff.

They also used watching them to improve their English. I know British people who learnt another language as older children/adults who watch TV programs in that language for the same reason.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The EUSSR censoring stuff and controlling their subjects? Surely not.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

They are all watching Naked attraction!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I know British people who learnt another language as older children/adults who watch TV programs
                  Wot like Oddle Poddle or Clanger whistling? both of which have proved invaluable over the years

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    They are all watching Naked attraction!
                    NA is a tad too much in your face and is just really voyeurism
                    There was allegedly a semi naked Euro totty centric kind of quiz show that aired in the 90's but I can't recall its name
                    A friend watched it and told me about it

Comment

Working...
                    X